Salix user for 24 hours

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
skrotnisse

Salix user for 24 hours

Post by skrotnisse »

Hello all,

I'm new to Salix (and haven't used Slackware or any Slackwarebased distro before).

I've been using Linux since seven years. I've used Debian or Debian distros for around 4 years and then Arch for around 3 years. I was looking for a distro which offers simplicity (which Arch does) and stability (which Debian does) - It took me some years to find out that Slackware/a Slackware-based distro was what I was looking for... :o .... :D

I like the Startup Guide for Salix!

Cheers,
knome
Donor

Re: Salix user for 24 hours

Post by knome »

Welcome to Salix. :D

I also used debian and rpm based Linux distros for several years before I tried Slackware based Salix. I haven't looked back. Salix is rock solid and I love it.
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Howdy and Welcome from another distro team member, AntiX, (just a tattooed linux using biker).
fleabus

Post by fleabus »

Welcome from another Slackware/Salix noob!

I have a lot of old hardware here in the antique shop.... Although I have installed and used Slackware Proper quite a few times, I'm afraid that I must capitulate. I admit to true laziness! Having cut my teeth on Debian, the quick-install convenience of Salix is more my speed. Also slapt-get is a much easier and more convenient transition for me, having started with Apt.

I love Salix Xfce! The darn thing just works! <sigh...> Spoiled rotten again... :D ;)
Last edited by fleabus on 15. Oct 2014, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
HP dv7-1270us - Slackware, Debian
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

fleabus wrote:Welcome from another Slackware/Salix noob!...I love Salix Xfce! The darn thing just works! <sigh...> Spoiled rotten again... :D ;)
Welcome fleabus, didn't know you were a Salix as well as a SolydXK and Linux Mint user. Still using the same nick and avatar, I see. It's amazing how many times one runs into the same folks on the various forums. :)
fleabus

Post by fleabus »

Hey Elder! :)

I recognized your avatar, though your username was different... Yes, I've been using Salix since early August. I gave up Mint a long time ago; I went to Solyd from LMDE in September '13 or thereabouts. Another one that gets heavy use from me these days is MX-14. I've been having a lot of trouble with systemd, and so I seem to be gradually drifting off to other pastures. I'm seeing many familiar folks on the other forums I've been hanging on recently too.

I find that Salix is zippier on my main machine than MX-14 for some reason; haven't had a chance to figure that out yet. Here I'm running the 64bit version, where MX is 32bit pae, but I have no idea as of yet whether or not that's the difference. Too many variables... Hmm. Come to think of it, 64bit vanilla Wheezy is snappier than MX on this machine too.

One nice thing about both Salix and Slack Proper is that I have no nouveau trouble here! I've installed both Slack and Salix on most of the old stuff in the antique shop here, and have yet to have an issue. Go figure...

I see rokytnji here also... Hi Rok! :)
Last edited by fleabus on 15. Oct 2014, 22:21, edited 2 times in total.
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Howdy Fleabus. I just packed up the Acer Aspire One ZG5 to mail off to the father in law tonight.
Dialing in XP kept me up this late. Fixing Windows MBR like you would not believe. Works on grub 2 also
and grub legacy. I don't know about Lilo.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

What amazed me was the iso restored Windows XP on MBR where grub2 from MX-14 sat before on that netbook.
I am keeping that iso on file next to my parted magic and hirens boot iso.

Edit: I forgot to mention. Unetbootin works with the above and I was in between a rock and hard place without a cdrom drive in that Acer Netbook.
USB boot only or external dvdrw drive with a Windows recovery cd was the only options besides Hirens and Parted Magic, (for me).

I first used it in the AntiX 14 testing
thread. Grub would not install right since systemd and AntiX needs to learn to co-exist with custom scripts we have
that do not play well yet with systemd.

Cool to see ya here. This Salix Fluxbox is growing on me on one of my spare netbooks. I still have SolydX installed on the other.
But, that might change also later. I seem to be losing netbooks lately to relatives.
8-)
fleabus

Post by fleabus »

rokytnji wrote: I don't know about Lilo.
Glad you got it squared away. I haven't fooled with Lilo yet either, so far just left it alone and let grub pick it all up.
rokytnji wrote:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair ...What amazed me was the iso restored Windows XP on MBR where grub2 from MX-14 sat before...
This is a new one on me too. Heard it around, but haven't tried it yet. Lately PartedMagic has been my goto when there's a problem, I keep a SuperGrubDisk and the SystemRescueCD in the toolbox too. That's a sweet/quick little Slack distro on PartedMagic, in and of itself. I've been known to just get lost in there all day; good fun...
rokytnji wrote:I seem to be losing netbooks lately to relatives.
8-)
:lol:
Yes, funny how that happens... every time my son or daughter comes around these days they find something in my junk closet to carry off... ;) It's so funny, because all my old stuff is so uncool to them, yet they seem always to find something. Hmmm...
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

fleabus wrote:It's so funny, because all my old stuff is so uncool to them, yet they seem always to find something. Hmmm...
It's not the stuff that's uncool, it's the fact that it's "yours" that makes it uncool. Once they find a use for it, it becomes "theirs" and therefore automagically cool :)
salixious

Post by salixious »

fleabus wrote:I've been having a lot of trouble with systemd, and so I seem to be gradually drifting off to other pastures.
I haven't had trouble with systemd, but I don't like where things appear to be going because of it. I also recognize you from the SolydXK forums as well. I thought about using my username and avatar from another distro as well, but I think for privacy reasons it's best to use different ones on different forums. I can see the benefit though of using the same on all/a number of forums.

Good to see a familiar member here at Salix.