CVE 2013-1763 - Linux Kernel local root exploit

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
ruario

Re: CVE 2013-1763 - Linux Kernel local root exploit

Post by ruario »

laprjns wrote:I upgraded to the new kernel on my Dell laptop with these specs:

Code: Select all

root[rich]# inxi -C -G
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-2330M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.org: 1.12.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 133x38 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
It booted into x and the desktop ok, but then completely locked up. I could move the mouse pointer, but no response to clicks or keyboard entries. I reverted back to the old kernel.
Yeah I had that issue as well as have several others both in the ##slackware IRC and on the Slackware forums. Here are some relevant comments that might assist you from the main LinuxQuestions.org discussion on the X lockup after the 3.2.45 kernel upgrade:
volkerdi wrote:This might be the cause:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kerne ... b95adc339c

I'm considering doing a third build. If anyone who is running into problems still could revert this patch and rebuild to see if it fixes the issue, then I'd do it for sure. The only Intel graphics I have here are the trusty GM945, and there's no problem there.
ruario wrote:Well I have the following card:

Code: Select all

# lspci -v -s $(lspci | awk '/VGA/{print $1}')
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device c0b3
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 49
        Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at 3000 [size=64]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
        Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
        Kernel driver in use: i915
and I was having issues with X freezing when using 3.2.45 (both the first and the second package), prior to switching to the 3.8.13 kernel from -current. However to help out with confirmation I'll revert this patch and compile 3.2.45 locally and try again.
ruario wrote:I have now rebooted and am now using 3.2.45 with that patch reverted. So far so good. No hangs at all. It has only been a few minutes but then that is all it took previously before the issue showed up. It was very consistent.
Philip Lacroix wrote:Same as ruario here. I reverted the patch, rebuilt the kernel, reinstalled modules, rebuilt initrd, run lilo. After rebooting I didn't have any issues so far, so you probably fixed it. :)
@laprjns: So revert that patch and rebuild the kernel yourself and you should be OK.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

There is now an updated kernel from slackware that should solve these issues.
ruario

Post by ruario »

Yep, I have replaced my locally compiled kernel with Pat's new packages and still no issues.