Thanks! Спасибо!

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
Old_Cat

Thanks! Спасибо!

Post by Old_Cat »

Good job! The distribution was a success! Thank you, gentlemen.
Suggestions for the future: replace the gdm to slim (less focused on the GNOME), draw attention to the music player deadbeef (alternative audacious), add GUI-tools to work with the cue (for example - gcue2traks). And why discrimination bundle Sonata + MPD ?!
The rest (for me) - almost perfect!
Once again, thank you! Beloved Slackware with a human face GTK! :D
And please add the pptp-linux in the net (we have in Russia a lot of providers who use VPN)!
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Thanks! Спасибо!

Post by thenktor »

Old_Cat wrote:Good job! The distribution was a success! Thank you, gentlemen.
Suggestions for the future: replace the gdm to slim (less focused on the GNOME),

Slim does not fullfill all features we want to have. Maybe LXDM will become an option at some time in the future :?:
draw attention to the music player deadbeef (alternative audacious),
Does it support: collection database, replay gain, last.fm?
add GUI-tools to work with the cue (for example - gcue2traks).
IMHO not needed on the iso, but we could have it in the repo. Please ask for it in the package requests forum section.
And why discrimination bundle Sonata + MPD ?!
Last time I've tried MPD it needed some configuration of text files. Not OK for the iso.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Slim is old, underfeatured and severely buggy. Definitely not an option.

Deadbeef is in alpha state right now. It mostly works, a lot of functionality is missing and it crashes a lot. And exaile is so much more than just a music player, you can't even compare the two.
Old_Cat

Post by Old_Cat »

Slim does not fullfill all features we want to have. Maybe LXDM will become an option at some time in the future :?:
That's interesting. Not yet seen loader LXDE. Testing sure. And yes, slim old and poor functional (like me), but - easy (not like me). :D
And why discrimination bundle Sonata + MPD ?!
Last time I've tried MPD it needed some configuration of text files. Not OK for the iso.
Sonata in the repository - a good tone ;). On the disc does not necessarily put, that you are :D .
Last edited by Old_Cat on 22. Jun 2010, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Old_Cat

Post by Old_Cat »

gapan wrote:Slim is old, underfeatured and severely buggy. Definitely not an option.

Deadbeef is in alpha state right now. It mostly works, a lot of functionality is missing and it crashes a lot. And exaile is so much more than just a music player, you can't even compare the two.

It is reasonable, in general. We exaile and deadbeef - two different products, different niches. Deadbeef well developed, why not at the expense of other players, do not rub it in the repo?
However, makepkg nobody canceled :D
This is my IMHO of course:)
Once again, thank you for your work, gentlemen!
waker

Post by waker »

gapan wrote:Deadbeef is in alpha state right now. It mostly works, a lot of functionality is missing and it crashes a lot.
bullshit.
despite having alpha status on sourceforge.net, it's much more stable than most "non-alpha" linux players, and is pretty feature complete.
absence of collection manager doesn't make it bad music player (since when it is mandatory for music players?)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Ah, a troll! Haven't seen one for a while. I almost forgot what they looked like.
waker

Post by waker »

gapan wrote:Ah, a troll! Haven't seen one for a while. I almost forgot what they looked like.
i'm actually an author of aforementioned deadbeef player, and i guess i have the right to defend it when i see lies like that spoken on the internet, right?

so it is a question yet who is the troll.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

waker wrote:i'm actually an author of aforementioned deadbeef player, and i guess i have the right to defend it when i see lies like that spoken on the internet, right?

Oh, you are an author of deadbeef? OK, then know that your very first word, in your very first post in these forums doesn't leave the best impression of you.

And how is it a lie to call your software at alpha state, if you're doing it in the first place anyway? Name it stable and I'll do the same, you're responsible for labeling your releases. Also messages like "WARNING: tag feature is under development, Make backup copies before using" don't inspire any user to call it stable. It would have been a lot worse to not have the warning and have a broken tag writer of course.

I actually like your player and I think that it definitely has a lot of potential, but I just don't think it's ready for wider usage yet.
waker

Post by waker »

gapan wrote:
waker wrote:i'm actually an author of aforementioned deadbeef player, and i guess i have the right to defend it when i see lies like that spoken on the internet, right?

Oh, you are an author of deadbeef? OK, then know that your very first word, in your very first post in these forums doesn't leave the best impression of you.
writing lies about other people's software doesn't leave the best impression of you, and your forum.
gapan wrote: And how is it a lie to call your software at alpha state, if you're doing it in the first place anyway?
you stated "it crashes a lot", which is lie.
in fact, it crashes very rarely. and i can name at least 5 popular "stable non-alpha" linux players that crash all the time.
Name it stable and I'll do the same, you're responsible for labeling your releases.
i don't label releases as alpha.
maybe i have some places on website(s) that state it is an alpha software, but development stage doesn't have much to do with stability.
stability is a number 1 priority for me and other people who help me develop and test the software.
Also messages like "WARNING: tag feature is under development, Make backup copies before using" don't inspire any user to call it stable. It would have been a lot worse to not have the warning and have a broken tag writer of course.
this warning also doesn't mean that tag writer is broken.
in fact, we didn't find any single issue with it since 0.4.1 release.
but this is new custom tag writer, so i can't be 100% sure it won't corrupt anyone's files.
that's why the warning is there.
I actually like your player, but I just don't think it's ready for wider usage yet.
you could have said that without lying about crashes.