No terminal emulator in Fluxbox 1.3.5

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
zAchAry

No terminal emulator in Fluxbox 1.3.5

Post by zAchAry »

These are the default launchers of terminals available in Fluxbox 1.3.5

Code: Select all

[begin] (Fluxbox-1.3.5)
[encoding] {UTF-8}
      [exec] (rxvt) {rxvt}
      [exec] (midori) {midori}
[submenu] (Terminals)
      [exec]   (xterm) {xterm}
      [exec]   (konsole) {konsole}
      [exec]   (rxvt) {rxvt}
[end]
None of these are available in Salix Xfce 14.1. I suggest to add default configurations in /etc/skel/.fluxbox/ with launchers of terminals that Salix do provide by default.

P.S. Fluxbox users can use a built-in run utility of Fluxbox with Alt+F2.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: No terminal emulator in Fluxbox 1.3.5

Post by gapan »

Do you realize that we don't offer a fluxbox edition for 14.1? And do you realize that it would be completely absurd to include fluxbox configuration in our Xfce/Mate/Openbox editions? If you want to install fluxbox go ahead, but you're responsible for doing it and you're the one that should be taking care of your menus. If you don't understand that, then you don't understand how fluxbox works.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

You can use this
GJones
Donor

Post by GJones »

Run fluxbox-generate_menu. That will automatically detect installed programs and generate corresponding menu entries. If that's not good enough, install menumaker from slapt-src.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Not to mention xdgmenumaker...
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

gapan wrote:Do you realize that we don't offer a fluxbox edition for 14.1? And do you realize that it would be completely absurd to include fluxbox configuration in our Xfce/Mate/Openbox editions? If you want to install fluxbox go ahead, but you're responsible for doing it and you're the one that should be taking care of your menus. If you don't understand that, then you don't understand how fluxbox works.
Then either provide rxvt or xterm in ISO images by default.
GJones
Donor

Post by GJones »

a) Dude, it's not that hard to install xterm in the package manager.

b) If you have problems with deploying custom configurations across a bunch of machines, or setting things up on reinstall, I would suggest making a full backup of a configured system, and using it instead of the installer.

c) It's probably not my place to comment on this, but I think you're being kind of demanding and impolite to the developers.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

GJones wrote:a) Dude, it's not that hard to install xterm in the package manager.

b) If you have problems with deploying custom configurations across a bunch of machines, or setting things up on reinstall, I would suggest making a full backup of a configured system, and using it instead of the installer.
I know how to configure Fluxbox and I am aware that it can be made on another desktop environment. In that case, I used Alt + F2 to launch several applications to do so.

The problem is that Fluxbox without a valid terminal launcher looks broken.
GJones wrote:c) It's probably not my place to comment on this, but I think you're being kind of demanding and impolite to the developers.
This is the last thing I want my posts to display. Thank you for posting this note. I will read my comments and see what I can improve on this matter.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

Salix may provide a package called user-settings-fluxbox, which would also include files of package fluxbox-gdm, as a suggested dependency for convenient defualt user settings of fluxbox.