Thunar bookmarks are broken. Salix64 Xfce 14.1

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
ibka

Re: Thunar bookmarks are broken. Salix64 Xfce 14.1

Post by ibka »

I tested it on a WM installation, and it works see pictures.

westms

Post by westms »

ibka wrote:I tested it on a WM installation, [...]
What is WM, please?
[...] and it works see pictures.
Yes, it works for you, but only because you've previously made a change. The proof you have delivered yourself in the screenshots. Since I can still clearly see a link to "home on neelix". So you did not used a fresh installation. I'm sure, gapan did not used a fresh installation, when he wrote: "Bookmarks work just fine here...".

To all:
But one can fix the decribed probem, if one create a file "~/.gtk-bookmarks". By restoring a previously saved file OR by creating a new file. Also the problem can be resolved, by using "Send To" from the context menu of a folder. In the latter case, the said file is automatically created. The problem exists only as long as the file "~/.gtk-bookmarks" does not exist.

Yesterday I installed PC-BSD amd64 10.0 with Xfce on a different machine. It also contains Thunar 1.6.3. The first thing I checked, was this problem. It does not exist there. For me, it now looks for a general Linux problem or a general Xfce problem on Linux. No Salix problem, no Thunar problem.
Last edited by westms on 8. Oct 2015, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
westms

Post by westms »

mimosa wrote:Whatever exactly is going on here, it seems clear that it has to do with intentional changes by the Thunar development team, not a bug in Salix's (or Slackware's) thunar package. Features may vary across versions.
Look mimosa, in this Salix forum is not a single topic group, in which can be discussed generally. This is probably by design. 'Salix pub: Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense' I consider inappropriate. I do not like to write nonsense. Therefore, it is discussed here.
ibka

Post by ibka »

westms wrote:
ibka wrote:I tested it on a WM installation, [...]
What is WM, please?
Virtual Machine (sorry i meant VM)
[...] and it works see pictures.
Yes, it works for you, but only because you've previously made a change. The proof you have delivered yourself in the screenshots. Since I can still clearly see a link to "home on neelix". So you did not used a fresh installation. I'm sure, gapan did not used a fresh installation, when he wrote: "Bookmarks work just fine here...".
It was a new installation. But i had accessed a network share before.

I did a new fresh installation today on a computer, and when i had logged in, the first thing i tested was to create a bookmark (drag and drop) and it worked without a problem.
The file "~/.gtk-bookmarks" did not exists on a fresh installation but it was created when i created the bookmark.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

westms, I think you've misunderstood me. You started this thread in the right place. I'm just saying: maybe it's not a bug, but a feature, or the absence of one. Or if it is a bug, it's a bug with Thunar, not Salix; or as you say, maybe with this version of xfce. Everyone is still perfectly welcome to talk about it and try to come up with tweaks if they like.

Or, alternatively, it's something you're doing differently without realising it, or something that sorts itself out in normal use - which would explain why some people aren't seeing the same thing.

Whatever lies at the bottom of this little quirk, please let's try and keep the discussion friendly :)
knome
Donor

Post by knome »

I'm unable to track down a cause for this problem but I wonder if it has anything to do with gtk2 and gtk3.

Default location for gtk-bookmarks is ~/.gtk-bookmarks in gtk2 but ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks in gtk3.

There are some bug reports where xfce/Thunar may not be quite up to speed on this issue.
westms

Post by westms »

mimosa wrote:westms, I think you've misunderstood me. You started this thread in the right place. I'm just saying: maybe it's not a bug, but a feature, or the absence of one.

Or if it is a bug, it's a bug with Thunar, not Salix; or as you say, maybe with this version of xfce.
Thank you for your words, mimosa.
It is not about the loss of a function, but a bug that can be bypassed.
Or, alternatively, it's something you're doing differently without realising it, or something that sorts itself out in normal use - which would explain why some people aren't seeing the same thing.
I know what you mean. In a large project I have spent over four years with software quality assurance.
westms

Post by westms »

knome wrote:I'm unable to track down a cause for this problem[...]
Neither do I.
There are some bug reports where xfce/Thunar may not be quite up to speed on this issue.
Before I mentioned the problem here, I've searched for the bug on the web. And I found some messages (Xubuntu and Debian). These describe a slightly different bug, bookmarks can be created, but go lost later. E.g.

(eng.)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1280641

(ger.)
http://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129400
Default location for gtk-bookmarks is ~/.gtk-bookmarks in gtk2 but ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks in gtk3.
Perhaps Thunar does not know, in which of the two paths it should create the bookmark file, and can not make a decision because the necessary program code is missing.

'Drag and drop' does not work in the beginning. But when I have used 'Send To' from the context menu of a folder, 'drag and drop' works then too. 'Drag and drop' also works when I have already created the file ~/.gtk-bookmarks manually.

Maybe I have time for a re-installation this coming weekend. I would then test whether the manual creation of file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks also provides a remedy. A new installtion is needed, because the removal of file ~/.gtk-bookmarks does not result in previous faulty condition.