Salix-14.0.1: Sudo not working properly

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
namandixit

Salix-14.0.1: Sudo not working properly

Post by namandixit »

I've just installed salix64-ratpoison-14.0.1 (this is my first time with slackware). For some reason, sudo appears to be not working. For example, when I do:
$ sudo slapt-get -u
it says something like "slapt-get: command not found". However, slapt-get works after switching to root (good ol' su). Same happens with shutdown command too. I've added my username to both sudo and wheel groups, uncommented corresponding lines from /etc/sudoer but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
(btw, I installed the official ISO, matched the md5 and used unetbootin to create installation USB in case it matters).
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix-14.0.1: Sudo not working properly

Post by mimosa »

Salix moved to sudo with its 14.1 release; earlier versions use su + root password. I imagine it's quite easy to set it up to work with sudo if you want, but I'm not sure how off the top of my head, and also, there may be a few wrinkles.

Incidentally, the ratpoison edition includes the commands rpshutdown and rpreboot, accessed from the menu or terminal, which shouldn't require root privileges.
coroner
Donor

Post by coroner »

I think you must use full path to file
sudo /usr/sbin/slapt-get
or update PATH in /etc/profile or add in ~/.bashrc.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

No, you don't need to do that. sudo is not set up in Ratpoison or any Salix edition prior to 14.1.