Using spamassassin with slackware

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
jsfarinet

Using spamassassin with slackware

Post by jsfarinet »

Now, that i luckily installed spamassassin just one, probably very simple question on how to use it. I started from this doc: http://dctrl.fi-b.unam.mx/victor/descar ... sassin.pdf. At a certain point there is said:
2.3. Starting spamd
It is not a bad idea to start a daemonized version of SpamAssassin which runs in the background. This will
speed up mail filtering. The daemon can be started using the following command:
#
spamd −c −d
It is a good idea to add this to
/etc/rc.local
, so spamd will automatically be started during the
initialization process.
Now, in Salix (slackware) 14.1 there is no /etc/rc.local but there is /etc/rc.d/rc.local. Is that the same as for functionality? So i simply would add that line to the latter file?

TIA.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Using spamassassin with slackware

Post by gapan »

Unless there is a dedicated rc.spamd in there (or similar) yes.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Taking a look at the slackbuild, it seems there is indeed an rc.spamd file in there. So all you have to do is enable the service from the respective app in the system menu. Or, from the command line:

Code: Select all

sudo service start spamd
and there are other ways to do it too...

Also make sure you read the README.Slackware file that comes with it: http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.1 ... .SLACKWARE
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

gapan wrote:Taking a look at the slackbuild, it seems there is indeed an rc.spamd file in there. So all you have to do is enable the service from the respective app in the system menu. Or, from the command line:

sudo service start spamd
and there are other ways to do it too...

Also make sure you read the README.Slackware file that comes with it: http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.1 ... .SLACKWARE
I see. To put it in rc.local was unnecessary because there is a rc.spamd in /etc/rc.d. It gets enabled by /etc/spamassassin.conf. Thanks for the pointer!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Actually, no. It's the other way around. /etc/spamassassin.conf is used because rc.spamd is executable and the service is started.
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

I discovered there is a problem still. Sometimes when i boot booting hangs (apparently) at darkstar login: it does not go thru furthermore (only a greyed out window with an underline cursor up left). When do Ctrl-Z (qwertz keyboard here) the boot goes thru. Turning back to the console i see the following error msg

Starting up X11 session manager. . . 
Welcome to Linux 3.14.24 (tty1)
darkstar login: Timeout reached while waiting for return value.
Could not receive return value from daemon process.
spamd.
Starting freshclam daemon: [etc]  
Just guessing in the dark, might it be the boot-up just hangs while/because of waiting invane for the return value of spamd? And, since i break that waiting by a keystroke, it goes successfully on then.

If so, how or where can i correct that error in the spamd / spamassassin setup? I ddg"ed" for that error but did not find anything useful - for me ...
jsfarinet

Re: Using spamassassin with slackware | Need some help

Post by jsfarinet »

I tried to configure as well as i was possible spamassassin (to do that, i tried to adapt my debian experiences with to Salix; there are some significant differences, mainly: in debian the service is called by "spamassassin" (which really starts the daemon), in slackware the service is spamd (which is the daemon). But anyway ...

Now checking whether i did well, i did:

ps -aux | grep spam
which gave me this result:

Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
root      1247  0.0  0.9 166808 71852 ?        Ss   16:38   0:03 /usr/bin/spamd -d --pidfile=/var/run/spamd.pid
root      1308  0.0  0.9 166808 69180 ?        S    16:38   0:00 spamd child
root      1309  0.0  0.9 166808 69092 ?        S    16:38   0:00 spamd child
<user>      14298  0.0  0.0   7152  1060 pts/1    S+   18:02   0:00 grep spam
(username edited).

What the link says re the bogus msg was not so illuminating to me. May be someone here is able to explain it a bit better?
Moreover, as for the rest, seems correct to you?

Now, another question: Since there seem to be problems starting spamd systemwide - the bootup process hangs with a msg that there was no response from the daemon (i have to break it manually to get the loginwindow) - my question is: Would it be reasonable to delete the rc.spamd and to put in this statement into rc.local instead:

spamd -c -d
?

TIA for your patience.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

jsfarinet wrote:What the link says re the bogus msg was not so illuminating to me. May be someone here is able to explain it a bit better?
The command should be "ps aux", not "ps -aux".
jsfarinet wrote:Moreover, as for the rest, seems correct to you?
I have never really used spammassasin so I wouldn't know.
jsfarinet wrote:Now, another question: Since there seem to be problems starting spamd systemwide - the bootup process hangs with a msg that there was no response from the daemon (i have to break it manually to get the loginwindow) - my question is: Would it be reasonable to delete the rc.spamd and to put in this statement into rc.local instead:

spamd -c -d
I guess you could. Maybe with a sleep command before it so it would launch a bit later. Something like:

sleep 60 && spamd -c -d &
or you could try running the rc script like that from rc.local

sleep 60 && sh /etc/rc.d/rc.spamd start
you should try disabling the spamd service for both.
But did you read this README? http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.1 ... .SLACKWARE
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

gapan wrote:....
you should try disabling the spamd service for both.
But did you read this README? http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.1 ... .SLACKWARE
Thanks a lot for all!!!

You mean disable in the graphical interface "system services", right?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Yes, and I meant to write "you should first disable the spamd service for both".