Non preset Black Screen when trying to install

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
viktorm

Non preset Black Screen when trying to install

Post by viktorm »

Hi

I have a Fujitsu Esprimo E7936 Core 2 Duo E5800 Workstation I'd like to use for Salix and/or Slackware.

I tried install Salix with Salix text mode ( latest 14.1 Xfce edition 64bit iso from USB Stick) but short after clicking on text mode install and booting starts up My monitor goes black showing Non Preset ( tried auto adjust and changing output from VGA to DVi but did not help). It seems like an issue with the built in Integrated Intel GMA 4500 graphics card on the machine ( chipset Intel Q45).

I get exactly the same error with Slackware 14.1 x64bit (or 32bit too). It installs but after the first reboot and shortly after the boot sequence kicks in Screen goes black with Non Preset and the machine seems like being on but no luck to bring back to life.

I tried Ping and SSH ( in Slackware's case after the install and first reboot) but no ping response or SSH connection happens to be able to extract the logs to see whats happening,

Strange is that trying with a different distro ( install, boot, reboots , etc) seems no problem at all ( Kubuntu 14.04.2 with KDE desktop) works fine without touching any configuration at all out of the box,

I was wondering is the below:

Is it because of the Kernel version Slackware / Salix 14.1 come with?
Is it because Im missing for Slackware / Salix some open source Intel Drivers for GMA 4500?
Is it because of the Xorg version comes default with Slackware/Salix?
Is it because Im stupid and dont deserve Slackware/Salix? ( seems as viable option)
As it works with Kubuntu / Windows 7 we can say its not hardware releated?
Would it help swapping the Video card to an AMD HD 5450? ( I read its well supported with drivers)

More info about the Workstation and Chipset on the manufacturers link below:

http://globalsp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Pub ... -0Watt.pdf

Update:

Under kubuntu the output of lshw -c video -->

viktormadarasz@viktormadarasz-ESPRIMO-E7936:~$ sudo lshw -c video
[sudo] password for viktormadarasz:
*-display:0
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 03
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:45 memory:fc000000-fc3fffff memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:1c70(size=8)
*-display:1 UNCLAIMED
description: Display controller
product: 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
version: 03
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:fc400000-fc4fffff

Thanks, and Appreciate any help I can get
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Non preset Black Screen when trying to install

Post by gapan »

Try adding

Code: Select all

i915.modeset=0
to your kernel parameters. In the lilo boot screen, hit the tab key and type:

Salix i915.modeset=0
If it works, you can make it permanent by editing your /etc/lilo.conf and adding it to the end of the "append" line. Don't forget to run

sudo lilo -v
if you do.

It's most probably a problem with your graphics card and the kernel in 14.1. Upgrading the kernel or swapping the graphics card should fix it, but try this first. Alternatively try the "nomodeset" kernel parameter.
viktorm

Re: Non preset Black Screen when trying to install

Post by viktorm »

Hi

Thanks,

Interesting it is but i tried the second time and all worked with and without the kernel settings ( i took note of them for reference)

Now i have Salix 14.1 installed and can restart as many times as i want no NON Preset message anymore

Thanks for helping me out