Thunar won't remember password for Windows share

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Muffinman

Thunar won't remember password for Windows share

Post by Muffinman »

Whenever I try to acces a shared location on a Windows machine with Thunar, I get asked for a password. When I check 'remember forever' Thunar doesn't seem to remember it at all.
How can I fix this?
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: Thunar won't remember password for Windows share

Post by laprjns »

Maybe try installing gnome-keyring
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
Muffinman

Post by Muffinman »

Thanks for the reply.
For a moment I thought the key-ring did fix it, I had to provide a key-ring password when I tried to acces the network location, but now I have to provide the key-ring password every time AND the password I allready had to give for the network location, so now it's two passwords :?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

If gnome-keyring is running when you log in, then you should only need to provide the keyring password, once for every time you login. If you don't want to do that either, you can always set a blank keyring password. You can delete your old keyring. The files are in ~/.local/share/keyrings/
Muffinman

Post by Muffinman »

gapan wrote:If gnome-keyring is running when you log in, then you should only need to provide the keyring password, once for every time you login. If you don't want to do that either, you can always set a blank keyring password. You can delete your old keyring. The files are in ~/.local/share/keyrings/
providing the keyring password,once for every time I login doesn't work, the keyring only asks for the password when I try to acces the samba share and I still have to provide the samba password too.

So I deleted the files in ~/.local/share/keyrings/ and after that I was asked to provide a new password for the gnome-keyring, I left it blank this time. Then I was asked for the samba password, after that I did a reboot and now it seems to work like a charm, thanks!

My only concern now is that my passwords are not encrypted, I'm at home, so it isn't a big deal, but still I'd rather encrypt it.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

They are encypted. It's just that the password that is used to decrypt them is empty.
Muffinman

Post by Muffinman »

gapan wrote:They are encypted. It's just that the password that is used to decrypt them is empty.
That will work for me, thanks for the help!