[Solved] New Login

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
antmon

[Solved] New Login

Post by antmon »

I recently installed Salix 14 xfce as my workplace computer because my win... pc had a burned motherboard. I just use it to access a lan web page, mail and some administration through vnc and rdc. I'm really happy with it except I can't connect to the exchange server to access my mail, I'm seeing my email box through the internet but it would be nice if I could connect directly to it, and I when I try to do a new login it gives me an error.
This happens when I lock the screen and then try to do a new login.

Code: Select all

Could not execute "kdmctl" : No such file or directory
     Current directory is : /home/antonio
           PATH is :
                     /usr/libexec/xscreensaver
                     /usr/local/bin
                     /usr/bin
                     /bin
                     /usr/games
                     /usr/lib/java/jre/bin
                     /usr/lib/qt/bin
xscrensaver : xx:xx:xx : 0 : child pid 5480 (kdmctl) exited abnormally (code 1)
I understand the 'no file or directory' but is installing kdmctl resolve this, what package should I install and can Claws mail connect to a microsoft exchange server.
Last edited by antmon on 14. Nov 2013, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: New Login

Post by gapan »

How are you locking your screen? I'm guessing that you have used the same homedir with a previous installation of KDE and there is some leftover setting in there that points to kdm.
antmon wrote:can Claws mail connect to a microsoft exchange server.
No.
antmon

Post by antmon »

How are you locking your screen? I'm guessing that you have used the same homedir with a previous installation of KDE and there is some leftover setting in there that points to kdm.
No. Fresh install.
Another thing, I configured desktop settings to cycle through a list of images and his not doing it.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Yes, it is a fresh install, but is it on a fresh home directory?
antmon

Post by antmon »

Good morning! Yes it's a fresh home directory.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

kdmctl is in kde-workspace package.
Since you made a fresh install then there is no way to get such an error message.
You did not use a fresh /home directory or you did not format the /home partition before you make the fresh installation, so there are still files from a kde previous installation.
Another guessing. After installation did you install any kde application which also installed kde-workspace as a dep? In that file there is kdm and you cannot have both gdm and kdm.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I wonder if this might be informative:

Code: Select all

ls /var/log/packages | grep kde
antmon

Post by antmon »

@ djemos:
Fresh install. Didn't install anything kde related or any other distro that uses kde.

@ mimosa:
It doesn't return anything. I made the same question in the portuguese forum so sorry for the double post.

Thanks.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Hmmm ... how exactly are you locking the screen?

I don't know how this works so I don't know where to look at the internals to see what might be wrong. However logic suggests (as has been said above) it *must* either be something you have changed or something that somehow got left over from before the install - because in a fresh install, this doesn't happen.

The fact that image selection for the screensaver doesn't work properly either might also suggest where to dig further ...

Re: double posting, no worries, but it makes sense to keep everything in one place.
antmon

Post by antmon »

Hi! I'm sorry about taking so long to reply. I'm locking the screen with crtl-alt-del. The prior instalation was windows, like I said its a fresh install but I will try to do another install. Thanks!