[SOLVED] fbpanel Icon issues & Wallpaper issues

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
sqlpython
Donor

[SOLVED] fbpanel Icon issues & Wallpaper issues

Post by sqlpython »

I had installed Salix Openbox ver 14.1 and have had these issues creep in....
That is to say that when I first installed this version has changed since the initial install 3 weeks ago.
I was able to have desktop shortcut Icon by copy paste from /usr/share/applications/ to /home/sqlpython/desktop
... I would then when copied in Spacefm have a new launcher on my desktop...
..... but no more since an update 4 days ago

I was able to edit /home/sqlpython/.config/fbpanel/default.conf (first making a copy) & then adding plugins with icons.
.... but no more since an update 4 days ago

I was able to change wallpapers with Nitrogen but now only with SpaceFm option..

Tried changing Icons, Themes, Wallpapers. Also edited fbpanel configs &/or restored defaults..
Edited gkinit.rc to show icons = 1 ..
Reinstalled Nitrogen and SpaceFm.. copied need icons to /usr/share/icons/(proper icon thems)

Best results at this time is to change Wallpaper with SpaceFm and to have generic terminal icons for any item added in Fbpanel config plugins..

Googled, searched forums no luck. I had used fbpanel off and on in 2009,2010 & 2011 with success.
Is it time to go back to Tint2 ???
Any Solutions ?
Last edited by sqlpython on 7. Jan 2016, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: fbpanel Icon issues & Wallpaper issues

Post by djemos »

What updates? There is no update for spacefm or fbpanel in repos.
Wallpaper in salix-openbox changed through spacefm preferences. There is no tint2.
Every new installed package appeared in fbpanel menus.
Yes to have an app in desktop you have to copy app.desktop from /usr/shaper/applications/ to ~/Desktop folder.
To add a new app in fbpanel bar have to edit ~/.config/fbpanel/default
To change themes, icons etc run lxappearance. It is under Settings menu.
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

These were not updates to Spacefm or Fbpanel. The updates referred to were requested by the system via an update Icon in the fbpanel on Dec 21 2015..
. here are the packages the system updated they are

/var/log/packages/mozilla-thunderbird-l10n-en-US-38.5.0-x86_64-1tg
/var/log/packages/hal-flash-0.1-x86_64-1_SBo
/var/log/packages/mozilla-thunderbird-38.5.0-x86_64-1_slack14.1
/var/log/packages/mozilla-firefox-38.5.2esr-x86_64-1gv
/var/log/packages/rdesktop-1.8.0-x86_64-2
/var/log/packages/font-adobe-utopia-type1-1.0.4-noarch-1
/var/log/packages/font-adobe-utopia-75dpi-1.0.4-noarch-1
/var/log/packages/font-adobe-utopia-100dpi-1.0.4-noarch-1
/var/log/packages/font-adobe-75dpi-1.0.3-noarch-1
/var/log/packages/xdgmenumaker-0.5-noarch-1gv
/var/log/packages/ubuntu-font-family-0.80-noarch-1gv
/var/log/packages/xsane-0.998-x86_64-3
/var/log/packages/pdftk-2.02-x86_64-1gv
/var/log/packages/libpng-1.4.19-x86_64-1_slack14.1
/var/log/packages/gcc-objc-4.8.2-x86_64-1
/var/log/packages/gcc-java-4.8.2-x86_64-1
/var/log/packages/gcc-go-4.8.2-x86_64-1
/var/log/packages/gcc-gnat-4.8.2-x86_64-1
/var/log/packages/gcc-gfortran-4.8.2-x86_64-1
/var/log/packages/gcc-g++-4.8.2-x86_64-1
/var/log/packages/gcc-4.8.2-x86_64-1

Beyond the above auto updates I installed the following manually on Dec 29 2015
Attempting to get HULU.com work which failed.. The nixnote package was just personal choice

/var/log/packages/nixnote-1.6-x86_64-1rl
/var/log/packages/flash-plugin-11.2.202.559-x86_64-1gv
/var/log/packages/flashplayer-plugin-11.2.202.554-x86_64-1_SBo
/var/log/packages/google-chrome-47.0.2526.106-x86_64-1
/var/log/packages/hal-flash-0.1-x86_64-1_SBo
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

This doesn't make sense. Most of these packages have had no single update since 14.1 was launched. That is definitely true for all font-* and gcc-* packages at least. If you had them "upgraded" now, it means you have made huge changes to your system, installing (random) packages from different sources.
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

Gapan
Read this from my previous post
The updates referred to were requested by the system via an update Icon in the fbpanel on Dec 21 2015..
As I had said an Upgrade Icon for Gslapt appeared in my fbpanel to request an Update waiting.
The update of these packages were not motivated directly, indirectly nor randomly by me the User. I just obeyed the call for the Update of packages. I have also received update requests twice after that update to update Thunderbird.
These Updates may have been due to my install of multi-lib 32 on this 64bit system. Certainly the gcc+ compilers
Can't answer to If this makes sense or not just that it was a system requested update.
After those updates I did follow the Slackware Wiki and Chromium.. later I installed Flash 11.2 in that I intended run Hulu.com which requires a high version Flash player. However my fbpanel plugin icon problems begin before the Chromiium and Flashplayer 11.2 installs.
sqlpython
Donor

[SOLVED] Re: fbpanel Icon issues & Wallpaper issues

Post by sqlpython »

I solved this by changing my Icon selection to the icons that are called in the /usr/share/applications apps

While note always my first choice for the icons in the panel they seem to be recognized by fbpanel easily.

thanks for the responses.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

sqlpython wrote:Gapan
Read this from my previous post
I did. But nowhere in your previous post was this:
sqlpython wrote:These Updates may have been due to my install of multi-lib 32 on this 64bit system.
Yes. And multilib might well be a reason you are experiencing these issues.
sqlpython wrote:later I installed Flash 11.2 in that I intended run Hulu.com which requires a high version Flash player. However my fbpanel plugin icon problems begin before the Chromiium and Flashplayer 11.2 installs.
Sigh... no, no, no. You installed the flashplayer-plugin package from SBo, which is the same as the flash-plugin package we have in the Salix repos. You did this manually, because the flashplayer-plugin is not available from our tools. And the SBo package you installed is even an older version compared to the one we have in the repos at this point. Check the version numbers!
sqlpython
Donor

Re: [SOLVED] fbpanel Icon issues & Wallpaper issues

Post by sqlpython »

You are correct in that I installed the Flashplayer SBo version 11.2.202.554-x86_64 but also left the installed version of 11.2.202.559-x86_64 . I am now back to the version in repository ftp://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/salixos/ ... 4.1/extra/
having unistalled the SBo version entirely.
I was attempting to get Hulu.com to stream video but all methods seem to fail anyhow. However Netflix will stream.

Bottom line now is that if I more carefully choose icons I can display them in the Fbpanel or on the Desktop. Basically some icons will work to display others won't... but that is acceptable.
sqlpython
Donor

Re: [SOLVED] fbpanel Icon issues & Wallpaper issues

Post by sqlpython »

Finally, I really have solved my fbpanel icon display problem in a correct fashion.
Probably the way I was phrasing or asking the question that was misleading those attempting to help... Sorry Guys :|

Anyway while more carefully reading the fbpanel config file /home/sqlpython/.config/fbpanel/default I discovered the answer.
The file configures the panel to look for icons only in /usr/share/fbpanel/images and then only in *.xpm format.
I hadn't remembered that as I have not configured a fbpanel in probably 4 yrs.
So now I simply resize icons that I choose to use to 22 x 22 or 24 x 24 and Export the icons in xpm format. All this is done in the Gimp..
Now most any icon can work in the right size of the xpm type.

Thanks for your patience in working this thread