Salix Xfce 13.37

ikke

Re: Salix Xfce 13.37

Post by ikke »

Congratulations! And thank you.

Have been able to install Salix Xfce 13.37. But not without problems.

My desktop didn't accept the 'nouveau' driver, so no X. I had to install first (init 3) the kernel header files and the nvidia driver. (Hope I didn't make any mistakes).

Up to now no complaints. Looks very nice. But need some more time to test.

When the Live version?

Thank you.
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

I just installed the 64bits version on my laptop, and let me say this:
I love the new artwork, and sourcery too!! :mrgreen:

you have my deepest thanks for this awesome release guys!
keep up the great work :mrgreen:
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I'm working on a Live version. I cannot say a final date, but it will be ok quite soon, in few weeks.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

@piotr

I'm running VirtualBox on 13.37. Not sure about lxde stuff you mention. Have you tried slapt-src / Sourcery? I'mafraid I can't remember now how I installed VirtualBox, but it's definitely working.
ikke

Post by ikke »

JRD wrote:I'm working on a Live version. I cannot say a final date, but it will be ok quite soon, in few weeks.
Merci beaucoup. Thank you very much. Looking forward to ...

Regards,
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

sphere wrote:No BTRFS support? :(
I have just merged the required changes to our SVN as well as other fixes and improvements from the Slackware initrd scripts so you can expect to see btrfs supported when the installation discs are updated.
submax

Post by submax »

WOW is beautiful work! Salix is Great!

Very very very thanks for your fantastic distro!

:!: :!: :!:
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

ikke wrote:Have been able to install Salix Xfce 13.37. But not without problems.

My desktop didn't accept the 'nouveau' driver, so no X. I had to install first (init 3) the kernel header files and the nvidia driver.
Same here. Both Slackware 13.37 and SalixOS 13.37 now default to nouveau rather than nv for all nVidia chipsets. The problem is that some nVidea chipsets just don't work with nouveau. For future reference you didn't have to reboot or change the init level. Just hitting CTRL-ALT-F2 would have taken you to a virtual console and you could have logged in and done the work.

I've got to wonder, for future versions (13.37.1 maybe), if some code could be added to the installer similar to what Vector Linux did with their ncurses based (text) installer, offering the option to download, compile and install the proprietary driver within the OS install process. That would certainly make it easier for less technically sophisticated users with one of the affected chipsets.

Other than that, yep, really nice release so far :D
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I understand that having followed the usual instructions (and swapped over the gslapt notifier), my 13.37 beta "is" 13.37 final, and very fine it is too. But do I have the artwork I have read such warm comments about? The login screen has some sort of white square things I don't remember from 13.[<3], but the lovely desktop background is the old one, I think. How can I check, bzw. get the latest one?

Indeed I usually use xmonad, with maximus's gorgeous wallpaper, but sometimes xfce calls me back.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

You can always create a new user and log into its account to see the new default desktop.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.