Re: Salix Xfce 13.37

Post by sphere »

No BTRFS support? :(
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

sphere wrote:No BTRFS support? :(
You can load the btrfs kernel module and install the btrfs-progs package. Be warned that btrfs is not yet ready for production use.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

The tools are in the initrd, it's just the format options aren't listed in the installer. Exit the installation, create your btrfs filesystem then run 'setup' again.

I still have a few minor fixes ('cancel' not cancelling mostly) to do on the installer as well as adding pxesetup (if I ever get around to that) so I'll try to remember to merge the btrfs option from the Slackware SeTpartitions script at the same time.
chakuari

Post by chakuari »

Great work! Installed it yesterday. iBus works great (till now...).

I noticed that we lost the opportunity to change the HD when installing. I mean, it saw both my HDs, but as soon as I chose one, I was not able to check the geometry to verify if it was the right one and then go back to choose the other one. I was pretty sure about it (don't want to erase the one with Windoze and NetBSD, yet), but as the other version I tried (13.1) did not had this behaviour, I found that strange...

Anyway, keep going, guys! My next adventure will be installing some tools, probably also TeX Live 2010, will post my impressions!
sphere

Post by sphere »

pwatk wrote:The tools are in the initrd, it's just the format options aren't listed in the installer. Exit the installation, create your btrfs filesystem then run 'setup' again.

I still have a few minor fixes ('cancel' not cancelling mostly) to do on the installer as well as adding pxesetup (if I ever get around to that) so I'll try to remember to merge the btrfs option from the Slackware SeTpartitions script at the same time.
This is excactly what I did, set up my partitions in gparted (sys rescue cd) and ran the installer without formatting anything. At bootup, I get a prompt for maintainance password because fsck.btrfs is not found.

How can I install btrfs-progs now? Can I use the systemrescuecd to chroot to my salix installation and install btrfs-progs from slapt-get?

If so, any tips to commands?
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

My sincere apologies for taking so long to reply...

Thank you to the Salix team for another great release!

Rich
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
fredg

Post by fredg »

For french speaking people : Salix 13.37 on LinuxFR (a high audience french website about linux and opensource):
http://linuxfr.org/news/salix1337%C2%A0 ... -de-sortie

++
piotrpiw

Post by piotrpiw »

Thank you for the new release. But what about:
1. LXDE - how to install that desktop even if it must be taken from previous Salix i.e. 13.1
2. Is VirtualBox package to be included in Gslapt in nearest future?
3. It seems to me the system now needs a little bit more time to start-up
I used Salix OS from the first version - just for LXDE and VirtualBox (they were easy to run on Salix and very hard to run on oryginal Slackware)

Greetings

Piotr