Salix LXDE 13.37

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix LXDE 13.37

Post by gapan »

Salix LXDE 13.37 has been officially released! This release is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. For everyone that has used our previous LXDE releases there are no surprises here. The application selection has stayed the same for the most part, with all applications being upgraded to newer versions of course. Important changes in this release are the inclusion of Sourcery, our new graphical tool for managing and installing packages from SlackBuilds, which has been developed from scratch for Salix and which is featured in all our 13.37 releases so far and also the replacement of SCIM with IBus as the default input platform for Chinese, Japanese etc. IBus is more modern than SCIM and should work better with all applications. Of course, all relevant system tools have been updated to accommodate this replacement. GTKMan, a simple GUI for viewing manual pages, developed also in-house, has also been added to this release.

The LXDE release is the most lightweight Salix release so far, both in terms of download size and in terms of resources needed. More lightweight applications have been selected in place of the usual heavier ones. The default web browser is Midori, which uses the powerful webkit engine for rendering. The default mail client is Claws-mail and the transmission bittorrent client and Pidgin IM client also included. Abiword and Gnumeric are included for all your document and spreadsheet editing needs and epdfview is the default PDF viewer. Other applications included are the lightweight Whaaw! Media Player, the Exaile music manager and the Brasero disc burning application, all using the GStreamer engine as a backend. Installation of restricted codecs is, as usual, made easy with the Salix codecs installer application, available from the Multimedia menu. Viewnior is the default image file viewer and mtpaint can be used for editing them. The full set of the Salix system tools are of course included in this release. Users are able to use the Gslapt package manager, or the command line equivalent slapt-get, to install extra software in their systems from Slackware and Salix repositories, with complete support for dependency resolution. As previously noted, Sourcery is also available to make the task of building software from SlackBuilds easier, as is slapt-src, its command line equivalent. The full set of the Salix system tools are of course included in this release.

You can download the images for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures, using Sourceforge or torrents, by clicking the respective links:

Salix LXDE 13.37 (32-bit) (size: 485MB, md5: 34741338167ad5dcbfe6a8257b4177aa)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://salix.enialis.net/i486/13.37/iso ... so.torrent

Salix64 LXDE 13.37 (64-bit) (size: 459MB, md5: 0415b596893dac5ec2dc56160a2f5b69)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/13.37/i ... so.torrent
Have fun!
jayseye

Re: Salix LXDE 13.37

Post by jayseye »

The LXDE .iso is significantly smaller than the Fluxbox download, as mentioned. Is it also true that the LXDE environment is lighter on resources than Fluxbox?

Thanks!

jayseye
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

jayseye wrote:The LXDE .iso is significantly smaller than the Fluxbox download, as mentioned. Is it also true that the LXDE environment is lighter on resources than Fluxbox?

Thanks!

jayseye
Not having done any actual benchmarking, I would guess that LXDE itself should be just as lightweight as Fluxbox. Both editions use the same file manager, openbox is just as lightweight as fluxbox, if not even lighter, they both offer a taskbar, a tray, a menu etc. But if you take a full installation in mind, then the Fluxbox edition is definitely heavier as it generally includes heavier applications (firefox instead of midori, libreoffice instead of abiword/gnumeric etc).
posixru

Post by posixru »

gapan wrote:Salix LXDE 13.37 has been officially released!
bboxM2011

Re: Salix LXDE 13.37-coexist with ratpoison?

Post by bboxM2011 »

Great news, I've been waiting for this 13.37 release. The ratpoison 13.37 one also interested me so I grabbed it; didn't really play with that since it is an installer, right? Would it work for me to grab the rp pkg from the repo and use that as an alternate wm alongside my lxde? I'd be getting some keyboard oriented apps for rp too. In the pages of replies on the rp release I didn't see that kind of setup addressed. Have not checked there recently though.

Marj
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

What are the differences between the release candidate and the final release, if any?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix LXDE 13.37-coexist with ratpoison?

Post by gapan »

bboxM2011 wrote:The ratpoison 13.37 one also interested me so I grabbed it; didn't really play with that since it is an installer, right?
Although there is a question mark at the end, I fail to see the actual question.
bboxM2011 wrote:Would it work for me to grab the rp pkg from the repo and use that as an alternate wm alongside my lxde?
You can additionally install ratpoison, but you'll be missing the default Salix configuration.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

caitlyn wrote:What are the differences between the release candidate and the final release, if any?
None at all.
Ferre

Post by Ferre »

I'm stuck with that eternal problem on my prehistoric laptop = 800 x 600 resolution screen. Strange because I only have this problem with Debian-based distro's ...
Welcome in a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates ?

LM 11 LXDE (desktop 1)
Salix 13.37 LXDE (desktop 2)
PCLOS OB Bonsai (very old laptop)

# 508135 Linux user
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Ferre wrote:I'm stuck with that eternal problem on my prehistoric laptop = 800 x 600 resolution screen. Strange because I only have this problem with Debian-based distro's ...
What is your laptop's native resolution? And what is your graphics card? I'm sure there's a way to fix it, even if it takes using the vesa driver. This might help: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 590#p10593