Salix Live Xfce 13.37

franzy

Re: Salix Live Xfce 13.37

Post by franzy »

:) :) :) :) :) .. thnx!
hugok

Post by hugok »

Nice! Keep it up with the good work! Congratulations to all involved.
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
ikke

Post by ikke »

Shador wrote: That's basically relatively simple. Just create two subdirectories and explode the respective iso images to those. It's important that you move the .live files to the root of the stick again and change the basedir variable to '/<your resp. subdir>' instead of '/'. DO NOT change any other values! Especially ident_content!
Example for the .live file content:

Code: Select all

ident_content=65b70335dda0e5c14bbf52e55aa498e5
basedir=/blub
iso_name=salixlive-xfce-13.37-32-rc2.iso
Shador, just to say thank you for your detailed info. Wiil follow your advice and let you know if any more problems arise.

Once more : danke sehr!
f.bluedevil

Post by f.bluedevil »

Congratulations to all involved! I will be looking forward to the KDE version.
anttel
Donor

Post by anttel »

Also congratulations from me too! Salix is the best distro for me. I installed Salix fluxbox 13.37 on my EeePc 901 and verything works without any issues. It's fantastic! I really apprecite it!! Keep up the good work!
Kerd

Post by Kerd »

Very nice work, congratulations at all :)
ikke

Post by ikke »

Shador wrote:Example for the .live file content:

ident_content=65b70335dda0e5c14bbf52e55aa498e5
basedir=/blub
iso_name=salixlive-xfce-13.37-32-rc2.iso
Wish to confirm that your advice is 100% correct and greatly appreciated. Am writing now from Live Xfce 13.37 installed on a usb stick. That "basedir" option in that .live file is really a great idea.

Only one thing I would to stress : do not install Salix Live Xfce 13.37 on a ext4 formatted stick. The .live file is not recognized although it is there. Wondering why ...

Thank you. Problem solved ...

Best Regards,
Shador

Post by Shador »

ikke wrote:Only one thing I would to stress : do not install Salix Live Xfce 13.37 on a ext4 formatted stick. The .live file is not recognized although it is there. Wondering why ...
Syslinux doesn't support ext* (only fat*). So I guess that's the problem your facing. The .live file should be detected on most common fs by grub2 and the live init. So that's probably not your problem. But you're description is also very vague.

The default method in the wiki article to install Salix Live to USB only support fat* too (as explicitly mentioned and other fs are very rare for USB sticks). This is because we use syslinux to load grub2 to prevent the necessity of a post-MBR gap, which is needed by grub as it provides support for many filesystems which needs more space of course.

Anyway, if you want to boot from another fs you need to use another bootloader that supports that fs. That bootloader just needs to load the grub2-linux.img like a linux kernel. So pretty much any bootloader should work.
For ext* this can be extlinux, which takes the same configuration as syslinux just rename it to extlinux.cfg. Not sure whether it supports ext4. But lilo would be also possible and should work on most fs as it uses blocklists (which are not save when the file it loads is moved internally by the fs btw).
Alternatively you can just use plain grub. But then you need a post-MBR gap with MBR or some other embedding are for other partition layouts.

Given you have that gap, it should work fine with the grub2 from Salix 13.37 like this:

grub-install --boot-directory=/<path to stick mountpoint>/boot <device>
Whereas <device> is the root device (not the partition device) of the stick (i.e. not /dev/sdb1, but just /dev/sdb).
salix2501

Post by salix2501 »

Is Flash available for Salix64 version?

Nice job again!

-t
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

salix2501 wrote:Is Flash available for Salix64 version?
Yes.