Salix Xfce 14.1RC2

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Xfce 14.1RC2

Post by gapan »

RC1 apperntly included a few bugs that we had to fix, so here's RC2. a kernel upgrade was also done in 64bits. Here's the list of changes since RC1:

* Adding a printer now works (users need to be in the wheel group).
* gst-plugins-good1 has been added and parole doesn't crash before installing codecs anymore
* The 64bit kernel was upgraded to fix a security issue
* Flash is once again part of the iso
* ibus and related packages has now been removed from the iso
* Some more security updates in several packages (flash is one of them)
* Minor bug fixes in slapt-get/slapt-src/spi

We're going to let this RC2 settle over the weekend and hopefully be able to announce it as final next week. You can download it using the following links:

Salix Xfce 14.1RC2 (32-bit, i686):
(size: 697MB, md5: c3e9469b4bd329838385255d8735191c)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://slackware.org.uk/salix/i486/14.1 ... so.torrent

Salix64 Xfce 14.1RC2 (64-bit, x86_64):
(size:713MB, md5: fcb3509ff1fe4d27395b71ebe0801e74)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://slackware.org.uk/salix/x86_64/14 ... so.torrent

Thanks everyone for testing!
bhyeti

Re: Salix Xfce 14.1RC2

Post by bhyeti »

Many thanks.
Atip

Post by Atip »

Great! 8-) Epson-24 Pin printer was detected and setup flawlessly with cups.

Parole opens, however, will not play DVD saying:
Parole needs DVD source to play this file.
It can be installed automatically.
Then clicking [Install] nothing happens.
I guess installing multimedia codecs will solve this. Yes it did

The installer does not see my SATA partitions on /dev/sdb. Now I know going out of the installer and
giving command for a partitioning program those partitions can be detected. The problem is I forgot the
name of the partitioning program. ;) :oops:
May be a reminder for this name can be inserted in the installer partition window.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Another dependency missing from the iso?

@Atip Thanks for testing! If you have time, please could you uninstall multimedia codecs (or if you haven't done much to tweak the installation yet, might be easier to just do a fresh one) and try running Parole from a console, so you can see the messages, and post them here?
Atip

Post by Atip »

mimosa wrote:Another dependency missing from the iso?

@Atip Thanks for testing! If you have time, please could you uninstall multimedia codecs (or if you haven't done much to tweak the installation yet, might be easier to just do a fresh one) and try running Parole from a console, so you can see the messages, and post them here?
Made a new installation. Installed gkrellm to see Internet activity.

A) user console; command parole gives no messages.

B) root console; command parole gives:
# parole
(process:1176): parole-CRITICAL **: Failed to initialize Xfconf: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
C) sudo parole gives:
(gst-plugin-scanner:1459): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstaasink.so': libslang.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gst-plugin-scanner:1459): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgst1394.so': libavc1394.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
and trying to play a window pops-up
Additional software is required.
Parole needs MPEG-2 System Stream demuxer to play this file.
It can be installed automatically.
In case A) and C) clicking [Install] there is no indication on gkrellm of any Internet activity. The window then just closes.

Command locate after updatedb indicates that ibavc1394.so.0 and libslang.so.1 are not found, however, /usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstaasink.so and
/usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstaasink.so are present.

Made symlink for ibavc1394.so.0 and libslang.so.1. No more Failed to load plugin yet parole still fails to play unless multimedi plugins are installed
which I did not tis time around.

Code: Select all

ln /usr/lib/libslang.so.2 /usr/lib/libslang.so.1
slack631

Post by slack631 »

Is possible upgrade from RC1 to RC2 ?

----
I saw the list of changes, so OK.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks Atip! So when you try to play, other than as root, you don't get any messages in the terminal, but you get a window popping up?

On reflection, I think this behaviour is OK. The application runs, but it can't play that medium (DVD) without plugins.
Atip

Post by Atip »

mimosa wrote:Thanks Atip! So when you try to play, other than as root, you don't get any messages in the terminal, but you get a window popping up?

On reflection, I think this behaviour is OK. The application runs, but it can't play that medium (DVD) without plugins.
Correct and that automatic [Install] indicated in the pop-up window does not work both for user and sudo.

Have to mention as well that an audio CD plays w/o any problem
slack631

Post by slack631 »

Hi,
On 64bit version. I installed Multilib, from Alien Bob. And from SlackBuilds, Adobe-reader, using spi.
Now I have problem to launch. It gives me error,
acroread Segmentation fault,
and in dmesg there is message:

[ 1459.493418] acroread[2317]: segfault at 12818273 ip 00000000f3098caa sp 00000000ffcedcf8 error 4 in libnvidia-tls.so.304.119[f3098000+3000]

Does anyone else had a similar problem?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Salix Xfce 14.1 has been released! The announcement is here: http://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php? ... 261#p33261

It's exactly the same as RC2, so if you have that, no need to download again.

Atip, I am aware of that issue with that message in Parole. It's really because the parole developers assume everyone is using debian or something debian based. I can probably create a patch to remove that, but it's really minor in my opinion and not worth to have yet another RC just for that. Salix users are expected to run the codecs installer anyway for that purpose and that will get rid of any problems.

slack631, your problem is not really related to the RC. You would probably get some answers If you created a dedicated thread about it. I have never used multilib myself, as I really never needed it.

Thanks everyone for all the testing!