Salix Openbox 14.1beta1

djemos
Salix Warrior

Salix Openbox 14.1beta1

Post by djemos »

Hi.
It is time for the Salix Openbox Edition. Another flavor of SalixOS.

Salix Openbox 14.1beta1 includes Openbox 3.5.2 accompanied by a very rich collection of software. Linux kernel is 3.10.17. The Midori 0.5.8 web browser, Claws-Mail 3.9.2 and Transmission 2.82 are the main networking applications included in this release. SpaceFm is the file manager. It comes also with Openjre-7u9, rhino, icedtea-web, Pidgin 2.10.9 and Gftp 2.0.19. Wicd is used for setting up your wired or wireless networking connections.

It is simple to install now printers share on network with just a mouse click. Just run system-config-printer and Salix openbox will detect them and setup them with a mouse click, thanks to pysmbc package.
Mount samba shares are also easy through SpaceFm file manager. Just copy as root /etc/samba/smb.conf-sample to /etc/samba/smb.conf and start samba.

Abiword 3.0.0, Gnumeric 1.12.19 and ePDFviewer 0.1.8 office applications are included. Whaawmp is the default movie player, Exaile 3.3.2 is the application to use for managing your music collection, Asunder 2.3 Cd ripper, Bracero 3.10.0 for writing CD/DVD’s and more. The Salix codecs installer application can be used, to quickly and easily install patent encumbered codecs to your system.

In the graphics section Viewnior 1.3 is the default image viewer, Gimp 2.8.6 for editing images and Scrot 0.8 the snapshot utility.
Flash-plugin-11.2.202.359 and Openjre-7u51 are also included.

More software choices are available in the form of SlackBuild scripts and users can have automated access to these SlackBuilds using either slapt-src from the command line or Sourcery graphical management tool.

After installation add the following lines on the end of /etc/fstab, if you have two dvd drives, or the first line if you have only one.
/dev/sr0 /media/dvd auto ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0
/dev/sr1 /media/dvd1 auto ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0
to make brasero detect blank cd/dvd's

The 32-bit iso image includes both SMP (multiple processor capable) and non-SMP (single processor) kernels. The non-SMP kernel is mostly intended for machines that can’t run the SMP kernel, which is anything older than a Pentium III, and some models of the Pentium M that don’t support PAE. It is highly recommended to use the SMP kernel if your machine is able to boot with it (even if you have only a single core) because the optimization and memory handling options should yield better performance.

You can download all Salix Openbox 14.1beta1 iso images from the following link, using the Sourceforge servers.

Salix Openbox 14.1beta1 (32-bit) installation image
(size: 694MB,md5: c06e89f1e2736d988df888e64a39fd6a)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Salix Openbox 14.1beta1 (64-bit) installation image
(size: 636MB,md5: 59d429e507a731925f2a1bb6260f65d1)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Some screenshots

Thanks for testing.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Openbox 14.1beta1

Post by laprjns »

Did a full install of Openbox 64. No problem installing or starting. Did notice that the desktop icons, Salix Online and Salix IRC Support, didn't work. Manage to hack a fix. Edited line 545 in /user/bin/xdg-open file to add midori to the list of browers. The line looked like this:

Code: Select all

BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-browser:google-chrome:$BROWSER
Now it looks like this

Code: Select all

BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:midori:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-browser:google-chrome:$BROWSER
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

The 32bit iso do not have this problem. I knew about this. Some how the xdg-utils 64bit package did not replaced.
I can test only 32bit images in virtual box.

I did not make any salix live openbox iso's (it is very easy to do it) because we have a team meeting and we will talk about live isos.

Thanks laprjns.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you for providing the Salix Openbox 14.1beta1 iso.
djemos wrote:I did not make any salix live openbox iso's (it is very easy to do it) because we have a team meeting and we will talk about live isos.
Does this mean a LiveCD is coming? The 'salt' way? Would be too nice ...

ADDED
we will talk about live isos
What were the results of this meeting? Have you decided to provide an LiveISO?

Thank you.
Last edited by ikke on 17. May 2014, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

One way or another, it is coming :)

There is already Salix KDE Live Beta 14.1, with links in the thread to some 14.0.x betas.

The great need is for testing by as many users as possible, to iron out any imperfections. That's the only way to get from Beta to RC to final.
ikke

Post by ikke »

mimosa wrote:One way or another, it is coming :)
Thank you for this info. Have some questions on "one way or another,"...
There is already Salix KDE Live Beta 14.1, with links in the thread to some 14.0.x betas.
Did'nt know. Sorry. Am not very much interested in KDE but the more in LiveCDs. Had a look and found that this LiveCD has not been made the traditional Salix way with 'salt' modules. This meant for me that I had to copy the iso with dd if=Downloads/salixlive-kde-14.1-64beta1.iso of=/dev/sdc". So this usbstick can not be used for anything else and I am not able to add modules (for gvim, mplayer eg.). Am testing now.
I did a frugal install of the Salix 13.37 liveCD on several usbsticks and even on a hard disk and was able to add modules. (I have an module with the updates ...)
The great need is for testing by as many users as possible, to iron out any imperfections. That's the only way to get from Beta to RC to final.
Fully agree with you. A long time ago I told you that I was willing to help testing.

Thank you for your comments.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

ikke wrote:So this usbstick can not be used for anything else and I am not able to add modules (for gvim, mplayer eg.). Am testing now.
This is for liveCD/DVD isos.
1. You can made your modules and save them as 08-module_name.slm, 09-module_name.slm etc
copy them to /boot/modules/ directory on usb to load automatically at boot

2. Or copy them to /boot/optional/ directory on usb.
In this case you have to add on boot in the end (press tab on option you like) the command
include=08-module_name.slm:09-module_name.slm: etc to load selected modules from "/boot/optional" directory

You can also exclude modules which are on /boot/modules/ directory with
exclude=module1:module2:...": to specify the main modules (from "/boot/modules" directory) not to load; example:
exclude:08-module_name.slm:09-module_name.slm:

Read more here http://slackware-live.tuxfamily.org/-Documentation-
posixru

Post by posixru »

Salix Openbox 14.1beta1 (32-bit/BASIS) Image

Midori+Claws-Mail=SeaMonkey Image
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

posiru wrote:Midori+Claws-Mail=SeaMonkey
Seamonkey is 33.7MB. Iso image could not fit in a 700MB CD.
It will become DVD iso which is not the case for 32bit iso images including pae and non pae kernels.
ikke

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote:This is for liveCD/DVD isos.
Read more here http://slackware-live.tuxfamily.org/-Documentation-
Thank you very much for your reaction and this info.

If you install the LiveCD on a usbstick/memory card with 'dd', then you are unable to write to the usbstick/memory card, I guess. So you are unable to install additional modules neither on '/modules' nor on '/optional'.

Anyway, kindly tell me how to make a module form a directory : "mksquashfs /dir module.slm" this new way. What are the necessary options? (ao for compression)

Also please let me know if you are planning to make a Salix Openbox 14.1 LiveCD?

Will give my comments on the Salix KDE 14.1Beta LiveCdD in the right place.

Thank you for attention.