Salix Fluxbox 14.1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Fluxbox 14.1

Post by gapan »

Salix Fluxbox is back for 14.1! Our Fluxbox edition is designed to bring a minimalist environment to your desktop. The default desktop layout is comprised only of the Fluxbox panel and the right click menu will bring up the Fluxbox menu, so it should be really light on resources.

The file manager that is used is PCManFM. The default browser in this release is Firefox. The office applications that are included are Abiword and Gnumeric. Whaawmp is the default video player and Exaile is the audio media library application. Of course, Salix Codecs Installer is also there to install all kinds of restricted codecs that you might need. Mtpaint is installed as the default picture editor, and fits perfectly with the lightweight feel of the desktop. Other applications included are the usual stuff that goes in Salix releases, like the Transmission torrent client, the Claws-mail email client etc. Of course, the collection of Salix System Tools is also present in this release. Graphical tools for almost every system administration task are there, along with their command line equivalents. Package management is being handled by Gslapt and slapt-get, while access to SlackBuilds repositories is provided by Sourcery. Another command line tool, spi, is also here and it makes installing packages from both our binary package repositories and SlackBuilds repositories as easy as it gets, taking care of intra-repo dependencies as well.

The Fluxbox menu uses xdgmenumaker to create a list of installed applications, similar to what you find in other environments. This list is also translated to your own locale.

As with all Salix releases, installation can be performed in three different modes. The default and recommended Full mode installs all available software in the iso, which includes one application per task and should cover most users' needs. The Basic mode installs only Fluxbox, along with the Salix system tools and package management applications, the PCMan file manager as well as the Firefox web browser. It is intended for advanced users that would like to customize their own Fluxbox installation to their own liking. The Core mode, is intended only for expert users and installs only a command-line environment, that is however feature complete and should provide a nice base for people that want to install Salix on their servers or install a graphical environment of their own choice on top of it.

The 32-bit release includes both an i686 SMP capable, PAE-enabled kernel and also an i486, non-SMP, non-PAE kernel, so you can use this with CPUs with no PAE support.

NOTE: due to the nature of Fluxbox, the menu is not automatically updated when a new application is installed or removed. You need to refresh the menu through the respective option in the "Fluxbox" section of the right-click menu. The upside is that the menu loads amazingly fast even if you have ancient hardware.

You can download and install the Salix Fluxbox 14.1 release using the iso images found in our Sourceforge project page, or by using a torrent client with the following links:

Salix Fluxbox 14.1 (i486/i686, 32-bit)
(size: 671 MB, md5: f2b1969b952f6f46a5f542426f0c397f)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
http://people.salixos.org/gapan/iso/sal ... so.torrent

Salix64 Fluxbox 14.1 (x86_64, 64-bit)
(size: 613 MB, md5: 021b9accb0d009fbbd6e03e1ecb4d539)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
http://people.salixos.org/gapan/iso/sal ... so.torrent

Have fun!
rokytnji

Re: Salix Fluxbox 14.1

Post by rokytnji »

RC1 will be released as final. Thanks everyone for testing!
Just wondering if a reinstall needs to be done.

http://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6131

If no major changes were made when I installed mine. Install date below.
rokytnji » 13. Sep 2014, 10:37
I am actually quite happy how mine has turned out since after I tweaked the ~/.fluxbox/styles/black_glass/theme.cfg
to the size and layout that I have now. I know I can backup my style, wallpapers,music,videos,ebooks,comics,docs,backups,conkyrc,audacious skins,blah blah blah.

Just hoping I don't really need to if no new added features from when I tested to final.
I really like how this fluxbox edition rolls myself.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

rokytnji wrote:
No. RC1 is exactly the same as the final release.
Atip

Post by Atip »

gapan wrote:
rokytnji wrote:
No. RC1 is exactly the same as the final release.
Just downloading the final for the last 5 hours with my fraudband. :-(
Finished after 7 hours. :-)

The md5sum. of RC1 and Final differ.

So there is no fix for the fact that I cannot play audio CDs with Exaile and MC being configured
with --enable-vfs-smb which makes it slow or impossible to open with slow or no
Internet connection.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Atip wrote:Just downloading the final for the last 5 hours with my fraudband. :-(

Then you have a bad download and you should start again. The md5sums cannot possibly be different. The isos were just renamed from RC1 to final.
Atip wrote:So there is no fix for the fact that I cannot play audio CDs with Exaile and MC being configured
Internet connection.
Honestly, I don't consider any of them show stopping. Very few people use audio CDs these days and considering you already found another way to play them as you mention in the RC1 thread, it's not a problem at all. As for MC, I don't think there are too many people using MC as their default file manager and also having no internet connection at the same time either. It will probably be fixed in the future in slackware though. In the mean time, I'm hesitant to rebuild the package, because of the problems that might arise from people that do want --enable-vfs-smb in MC.
elcore

Post by elcore »

I use mc a lot, mostly offline use. Never seen this delay you had mentioned.
The version I got is 4.8.10, but I use no dhcp or samba, so maybe that's a part of the problem
Atip

Post by Atip »

gapan wrote:
Atip wrote:Just downloading the final for the last 5 hours with my fraudband. :-(

Then you have a bad download and you should start again. The md5sums cannot possibly be different. The isos were just renamed from RC1 to final.
Atip wrote:So there is no fix for the fact that I cannot play audio CDs with Exaile and MC being configured
Internet connection.
Honestly, I don't consider any of them show stopping. Very few people use audio CDs these days and considering you already found another way to play them as you mention in the RC1 thread, it's not a problem at all. As for MC, I don't think there are too many people using MC as their default file manager and also having no internet connection at the same time either. It will probably be fixed in the future in slackware though. In the mean time, I'm hesitant to rebuild the package, because of the problems that might arise from people that do want --enable-vfs-smb in MC.
Then I am one of the last dinosaurs. :lol:

Run upgradepkg and it was only flash-plugin that differed in the Final from RC1.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

You could always build your own custom version of mc with the appropriate configure switch.

As for flash pugin - there can't be any differences between the RC image and the final image, because they are the same file. It was just renamed.
Atip

Post by Atip »

mimosa wrote:You could always build your own custom version of mc with the appropriate configure switch.

As for flash pugin - there can't be any differences between the RC image and the final image, because they are the same file. It was just renamed.
For quite some time I am using mc installed w/o --enable-vfs-smb in my main working Salix box.

On flush-plugin I can only report what was shown when doing upgradepkg from Final disk
to HD installed RC1. My be that was the reason that the md5sum differed, a hitch in flush-plugin
download.
Atip

Post by Atip »

Im building-up this box as my new working home.
I just found that the program "meld" will not open when clicked from the
Fluxbox menu nor when clicked from the menu of fbpanel which I have
added.

Giving command "meld" from terminal the program opens.

Code: Select all

$ meld
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gobject/__init__.py:115: Warning: attempting to add an interface (GtkEditable) to class (HistoryFileEntry) after class_init
  type_register(cls, namespace.get('__gtype_name__'))
Just found that "meld" will open from mate-panel as well as from xfce4-panel.