SalixLive XFCE 14.1 beta2

djemos
Salix Warrior

SalixLive XFCE 14.1 beta2

Post by djemos »

Salix Live Xfce 14.1 beta2 is ready for testing.

mount the iso image. Inside boot/syslinux folder on iso there is install_on_usb.sh script.
copy this script in your ~/ folder and umount iso image.

run it with --help parameter to see options
can install iso on a usb and also create a persistent ext3 file.

plug in your usb stick and type
sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --usb salixlive64-xfce-14.1-beta2.iso 64
if iso image is in same folder Otherwise give the path. (path_to_iso/salixlive64-xfce-14.1-beta2.iso 64)
for 32bit
sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --usb salixlive-xfce-14.1-beta2.iso 32

ATTENTION: USB will be formatted and all data will be lost.

If you answer no for persistent or want to create a new persistent with different size after installation
type
sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --persistent salixlive64-xfce-14.1-beta2.iso 64
or
sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --usb salixlive-xfce-14.1-beta2.iso 32

You can download iso images from our sourceforge project page, using the following links:

Live ISO images
32-bit (i686):
(size: 753 MB, md5sum: c3345b999e4aa36ab79477cbac469306)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

64-bit (x86_64):
(size: 791 MB, md5sum: cbb9dca5d4c9b251e9143ed5544c0cf8)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: SalixLive XFCE 14.1 beta2

Post by mimosa »

I look forward to trying this afternoon :)

To get at that script, one easy way is to mount the iso to a directory:

Code: Select all

mkdir live #choose any name you want
sudo mount -o loop path/to/salixlive.iso live # root privileges needed for this step
cp live/boot/syslinux install_on_usb.sh ~/
sudo umount live
kynix

Post by kynix »

The actual beta2 live-cd does not boot, if german language is preselected. The boot process stops after the messages: setting up locale (de_DE.utf8) -- enabling swap on /dev/sda5 -- unable to find swap-space -- *** Live system ready *** || But there is a workaround: after selecting DEUTSCH as language, choosing text-mode, the system boots correct, until the login prompt appears! 'One' has to log-in with name and password!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks for the report. Please try, instead of doing that, selecting your desired locale as normal, and either the default boot option or with persistence, but hit TAB instead of Enter to edit boot options; change useswap=yes (from memory this is what it is but the parameter may be slightly different) to useswap=no, and report back whether it boots correctly.

By the way, I moved your post here so as to keep everything on this topic in one place.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

salixlive xfce beta2 is booting fine choosing german language. Please try again.
or check md5sum.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

laprjns, please copy elilo.conf and message.msg from here http://people.salixos.org/djemos/salix/initrd/elilo/ to EFI/BOOT folder on usb. Then boot from usb with uefi. You will see elilo menus. I cannot test it b/c i have no uefi here. But i can see how they look using syslinux2ansi script.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I tested it on three different uefi machines. In all cases, the ellio menu screen did boot, but it is unreadable and I cannot select an option to boot. I will continue to test and try som changes to those files to see if I can get it to work.

Also, note that the first small uefi system partition that is created by install_on_usb is not necessary. My systems detect both the 1st and 2nd partition and creates a boot option form both in the uefi menu. On all three of my machines, the menu option that points to the first partition doesn't boot. The second menu option boots, but now with the elilo menus, it has the problem that i stated above.

One last thiing is that the install_on_usb script throws the following message at the very end.

Code: Select all

The persistent file persistent is ready.
    rmdir: failed to remove ‘/mnt/install’: Directory not empty 
Although I always get this message, it does not seem to be a problem as the script works well setting up the Live system and persistence file.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

First efi did not boot because it is empty. About elilo.conf and message.msg. I can see how it looks but i dont test it because i dont have an uefi system.
i created these reading /usr/doc/elilo-3.14/examples/textmenu_chooser/
So you can help on this :-)
Furthermore even with old elilo.conf user could boot and if he wants the menus then can boot in legacy mode every uefi system supports this. So i don't think this is a problem. As also have seen other distros don't have so many options as we have to boot on 13 langs. they just boot on uefi which is more simple.

Well on second partition the /boot partition EFI has to deleted. EFI on first partition is needed.
I will remove the creation of first uefi partition for usb on second partition but for installing on hard disk is a system where there is an uefi partition with windows what will happen if i change the installer? You said that as it is now it is working fine. I am talking about a real hard disk installation within the SLI.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Would it be possible to get SLI to detect whether it is installing to USB or hard disk, and only include the special EFI partition for the latter?

Also even if not, there is no reason for this extra partition to be included in the Live iso.

I think if persistence is working (and perhaps it should even be the default) there is no need to have language options at boot. But otherwise, it is annoying to have to reset these every time. Options like noacpi, noswap, no persistence are more important.
kynix

Re: SalixLive XFCE 14.1 beta2 & wish

Post by kynix »

Thanks for the advice, mimosa! Disabling the swap function via TAB by editing the boot options works fine; but there is also a separate entry in the boot menu for that (I discovered later), which also works.
I have a wish: it would be nice to have the bash security patch integrated in the final release of SalixLive XFCE 14.1 .
You did a great job in developing and supporting SalixLive until now!