SalixLive Xfce 14.1

gapan
Salix Wizard

SalixLive Xfce 14.1

Post by gapan »

The Salix Live team is proud to announce the immediate release of Salix Live Xfce 14.1. We haven't had a live release for quite a while, this being our first official live release in more than two years!

During the last few months there has been a lot of action behind the scenes to get this ready. The live system creation scripts that we were using up to the 13.37 release (called SaLT), while originally created with the idea to become a one stop solution for creating our live releases without much trouble had become a burden to use. After a lot of trying to get them work with newer releases, we decided that we should switch to a better, easier to use system. This is based on the Slackware Live Scripts, which is also what powers other Slackware-based live systems as well. The scripts were tweaked and adjusted to meet our requirements and the fruit of this work is available here, including a new installer and persistence options. The new live scripts have a number of advantages over our old scripts, with the most important being that there is no need to use a separate live-specific kernel, instead the exact same kernel as in a standard installation iso is used along with an initrd image for booting the live iso.

This release is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures, while the 64-bit iso supports booting on UEFI systems. SecureBoot is however not supported.

The software included in this release mirrors that present in a standard Salix Xfce 14.1 release as closely as possible. Midori is the default browser, Libreoffice covers any office needs, Claws Mail, Pidgin, Gimp, Geany, Parole, Exaile and everything else is still there, including of course the full collection of our own system administration tools. As with all Salix editions, the full set of graphical system tools is available, including the Gslapt package manager and the Sourcery SlackBuild manager. Users comfortable with the default collection in Salix will definitely feel at home. Of course, the Salix Live Installer (SLI) is included, so you can install Salix from within a running live system on your hard drive as well as on a USB stick.

If you want to transfer the iso to a USB stick, make sure you read the respective instructions in this file:
http://people.salixos.org/gapan/live/RE ... ON_USB.TXT

You can also use the dd command to write the iso to a USB stick, but some features like persistence, will not be available.

Sadly, the Xfce edition has grown in size and it can no longer fit in a single CD, so you now need a DVD if you want to burn it to an optical medium.

You can download this release using the following links.

Salix Live Xfce 14.1 (32-bit, i686)
(size: 746 MB, md5: 331e55d6d17d22e77703ca9b2f287b42)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://download.salixos.org/i486/14.1/i ... so.torrent

Salix64 Live Xfce 14.1 (64-bit, x86_64)
(size: 790 MB, md5: 1a6f5e8c37728f58b6770b41fd95d1bf)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://download.salixos.org/x86_64/14.1 ... so.torrent

A great thank you to djemos, who did all the hard work to make this release possible and also laprjns and mimosa for their extensive help in testing.

NOTE: if you are booting with persistence, the very first time the live system will boot will take a while. This is because the persistence file is created at that point and that is somehow a lengthy process. However, the system will boot much faster at every consecutive boot.

Enjoy!
ikke

Re: SalixLive Xfce 14.1

Post by ikke »

"our first official live release in more than two years!"
Congratulations! And thank you all.

Am downloading and will let you have my comments if any ...
"The new live scripts have a number of advantages over our old scripts."
Guess you are right. The only complaint I have is that the core of the system the 'modules'-directory is now part of the overall /boot directory. On an HD or usbstick with different distributions this may create a problem. I would prefer the old /salixlive-directory.

Thank you.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

In a real hd installation the folder hierarchy is the same as in installation iso. On a usb frugal installation i don't see where is the problem since other distros will use from boot folder what they need. And this is a live iso for salix. Creating the iso i could not think the multiple distro's in a usb. This is out of this project scope.
Atip

Post by Atip »

Desktop PC

32bit

Installation worked great following instructions given. Took some time so.

Would not boot with or w/o persistent unless adding cheatcode acpi=off.
Booting woud stop when it says: ..booting.

On second booting it booted alright with acpi=on.
For persistent it took 4 min and 15 sec to complete booting, for Live only 2 min.

On first Shutdown machine would not turn-off, on second boot and Shutdown it did turn-off.

Overall it seems somewhat sluggish.
Midori takes 30 sec to open, so does Suspend to take effect.

Unlike in Salix-Fluxbox-14.1 "MC" is working properly with terminal and mcedit accepting all typed letters. :D

The icon on desktop to open salix.org claims to open firefox when in fact it is midori. ;)

Will test programs later.
Last edited by Atip on 7. Nov 2014, 01:26, edited 5 times in total.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Try to boot again for the second time.
fleabus

Post by fleabus »

Thank you folks for all your hard work and effort! I'm addicted to Xfce these days, and coming from Debian, Salix is the way to go for me.
Last edited by fleabus on 6. Nov 2014, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
HP dv7-1270us - Slackware, Debian
Atip

Post by Atip »

djemos wrote:Try to boot again for the second time.
I just did and for live and persistent it booted with acpi=on. :)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I just added a note at the announcement that booting with persistence for the first time will take longer that usual.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote:I just added a note at the announcement that booting with persistence for the first time will take longer that usual.
I suggest users to not boot with persistent for the first time.
It is better to use the script to create a persistent file. And in next boot to use persistent.
Creating a 1,2,3,4 GB persistent file on first boot will take a long time.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »