Thank you gapan,
Laptop: Acer Aspire 4736z
T4200, Intel GMA 4500M
Bluetooth and Wifi (forgot brands)
2GB DDR3, 250GBHD
Dual booting WinXP and Salix OS 13.1 RC1
I installed the 13.1 RC1 in record time: 7 minutes, measured from the time I pressed "ENTER" at the boot prompt to "ENTER" at the Reboot Now dialog box. This is wicked fast!
1. No hiccups encountered in that font-cache config thingy. Installation traffic was smooth and orderly.
2. Wireless was picked up and configured without trouble
3. Multimedia installer went smoothly and installed the codecs.
4. I opened gslapt and installed my other favorite programs, mplayer, smplayer, k3b 1.0.5 (plus its other dependencies qt3 and kdebase-runtime) and xfbrun. They're still in the process of downloading.
5. I also selected vlc but get a notice saying, "Missing dependency: lib4vl" This did not happen in the previous version's vlc installation. I skipped vlc for the moment. I searched lib4vl in gslapt which only returned v4l-utils already shaded (installed).
6. Parole do not have the option to select subtitle language in the .mkv movie I played.
I will update this feedback as I go through actually using the OS the way I do.
Nice artwork and no more "masking" ,with image, the scrolling of the boot text! Geeky, yeah!