Salix 13.1 is here!

fredg

Re: Salix 13.1 is here!

Post by fredg »

On my system the only thing that works consistently well is the proprietary driver. The broadcom-sta package and the firmware (wl) package are the best way to go, at least for me.
On mine too ;)
I'll be writing a Wiki page so that other folks can avoid the head scratching and troubleshooting steps I also plan on building packages for driver and firmware to Salix standards and contributing them to the repository. That should make life easier for netbook and notebook owners with the Broadcom 4312 and other, similar models.
Very very good!

++
christian

Post by christian »

Hi!

Be careful with publishing a package providing Broadcoms wireless firmware, i'm not sure if it is allowed to reditribute these files. I've got a notebook with the same chipset and wanted to create packages. I created one for b43-fwcutter some time ago, I'll upload it and the SLKBUILD to my server tomorrow.
I created a firmware package too, but i will only upload the SLKBUILD due to possible licensing issues. At least Fedora and some other major distributions to not provide the firmware itself due to the license. They only have b43-fwcutter packages too.

More information on this issue: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Dri ... stallation

Best Regards
Christian
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

It is permissible to redistribute the Broadcom drivers. Distros like Mandriva and Ubuntu do precisely that, something they would not due if it violated the licensing.
pevsner

Post by pevsner »

Congrats Developers, a rock solid release for me ( now that I switched to using grub2 instead of lilo).
I switched to using lxde/openbox too, which only chews up about 100mb of ram. A few theme tweaks and I got it looking like oxygen, looks like there's a new pcmanfm coming soon.
Happy to find salix it suits me great! small, fast, current and no bloat. Kudos!
salix2501

Post by salix2501 »

Gapan...you are THE MAN! I love Salix...last week I tried Crunchbang and Sabayon but they are not the same.

Keep your recipe: Slackware-based(mini Slack version), simple and light. You are in the right track. Keep it simple!

-t
jbs1136

Post by jbs1136 »

Sorry it took so long for me to post, I have been in the Hospital. I got out and discovered you had released 13.1. I installed the 32 bit on laptop and love it. I am getting ready to upgrade (via wiki info) my desktop. So glad you posted on the slackware forum a while back, that was how I found you. As usual, a rock steady distro.

Thanks to all of you guys responsible.

A comment about the Broadcom STA driver. If you post a wiki besure to mention the few chipsets that it supports. I have an older 4318 chipset that the STA driver doesn't support. For me ndiswrapper works great.

john
oscar

Post by oscar »

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I just want to thanks all the developers for this perfect incarnation of the Slackware KISS principle that is called Salix! I'm from Italy, using Linux since 2005 and Slackware addicted since 12.0 version. Kudos to Gapan & C.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

oscar wrote:Hello. I'm new to the forum. I just want to thanks all the developers for this perfect incarnation of the Slackware KISS principle that is called Salix! I'm from Italy, using Linux since 2005 and Slackware addicted since 12.0 version. Kudos to Gapan & C.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

christian wrote: Be careful with publishing a package providing Broadcoms wireless firmware, i'm not sure if it is allowed to reditribute these files.
I read the LICENSE.txt file in detail and while it is permissible to redistribute these there are restrictions. While I think I could build a package and SalixOS could redistribute it I am uncomfortable with some of the terms. I am not a lawyer by any means so it's a bit hard for me to judge possible ramifications.

In any case, I've decided not to submit the packages I have built. I will do a wiki page and point to Slackbuilds.org. That will have to do in this case. Sorry, folks. I wanted to make this easy but the proprietary license raised too many questions I couldn't answer.
Antid Oto

Post by Antid Oto »

Hola, soy Antid Oto. Fui invitado por el usuario "autogestion". Él me recomendó Salix y estoy muy feliz.
Yo vengo de Debian, así que echo de menos algunas cosas. Voy a sugerir algunos paquetes, pronto.
Muchas gracias a todo el Staff. Esta distribución es muy ligera y rápida. Felicidades!

-----------------

Hello, I'm Antid Oto. I was invited by the user "autogestion". He recommended me Salix and I'm very happy.
I come from Debian, so i miss some things. I'll suggest some packages, soon.
Very thanks to all Staff. This distro is very light and faster. Happinesses!