Salix 13.1 is here!

Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix 13.1 is here!

Post by Akuna »

mimosa wrote:on the other hand it looks as if you have got rid of the basically Slackware installer of 13.0 non-live and used an improved version of the 13.0 Live installer instead. Maybe it will be able to cope with some quite exotic partition arrangements ;) .
Salix standard uses a modified Slackware ncurse installer while SalixLive uses its own 'homegrown' GUI live installer.

The live installer you used & for which you actively helped to squish bugs is the one that will be used by SalixLive 13.1 (which is why we had to do a bit of gymnastic to have it work on your SalixLive 13.0 USB key)

So we definitely did not waste any time. ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:... because 13.0 is now The Past, and scarcely anyone will download it any more.
Keep in mind that it is still supported though and it will be for a long time.
kuina wrote:Some backdrops on the repository of salix13.1 are broken aren't it?
Which ones do you mean?
kuina

Post by kuina »

gapan wrote:
kuina wrote:Some backdrops on the repository of salix13.1 are broken aren't it?
Which ones do you mean?
I cannot open the background images(other than the "sheytanbv36") included in the salix-artwork.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

kuina wrote:I cannot open the background images(other than the "sheytanbv36") included in the salix-artwork.
How are you trying to open them exactly? They all work just fine here.
kuina

Post by kuina »

Sorry! I notice my libjpeg having wrong just now.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

mimosa wrote:I'm downloading from the torrent now (5 peers) and it's as fast as direct download (which I tried because the torrent took a while to get going). I suppose being a couple of hours behind the very first downloaders/seeders is enough to make it speed up.
Yes, exactly. I forgot to disable the bandwidth limitation of transmission :D Sorry.
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
tommcd

Post by tommcd »

Hello all!
I am new to Sailix, but not new to linux. My main distro has been Slackware for some time. I have used Zenwalk also since version 4.0. I heard about Salix on the LQ forums, so I decided to give it a try now that 13.1 is out.
Everything looks great so far. I installed 64bit Salix on my desktop, got the nvidia driver installed, and everything is just zipping along nicely!
Thanks to all the developers for this OS.
I recognize the names of most of the devs from the Zenwalk forums. I am glad to see you are all still working together on Salix. Keep up the good work, it is much appreciated.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

If you followed the release candidate announcement thread up until now you already know that I had real problems getting Salix 13.1 working on my HP Mini 110 netbook. I'm pleased to say that it's installed and working brilliantly now.

Neither the installer nor the booted system after install would run. The trick is to blacklist the b43 and ssb modules. This should solve problems with system hangs during boot.

Once install is complete there is no wireless but that can be fixed by installing the broadcom-sta proprietary driver. A build script for the driver is available at: http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.1/ ... adcom-sta/ You will also need b43-fwcutter and b43-firmware, also both available at Slackbuilds.org
fredg

Post by fredg »

hehe, I had the same issue (broadcom 4312 on HP Mini 210) and I have solved it this morning too (see the ML). Next time I will take a look here first ;)
Once install is complete there is no wireless but that can be fixed by installing the broadcom-sta proprietary driver. A build script for the driver is available at: http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.1/ ... adcom-sta/ You will also need b43-fwcutter and b43-firmware, also both available at Slackbuilds.org
I add that you have to choose to use:
1/the broadcom-sta hybrid proprietary driver (kernel dependant wl module)
or
2/the solution with b43cutter which will extract the b43 firmware and load it.

No need to use both.

++
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

@fredg: We have the same wireless chipset so the same results are expected. Unfortunately it's quite popular. I say unfortunately because of the proprietary nature of the driver.

On my system the only thing that works consistently well is the proprietary driver. The broadcom-sta package and the firmware (wl) package are the best way to go, at least for me.

I'll be writing a Wiki page so that other folks can avoid the head scratching and troubleshooting steps :D I also plan on building packages for driver and firmware to Salix standards and contributing them to the repository. That should make life easier for netbook and notebook owners with the Broadcom 4312 and other, similar models.