flash in 64-bit

thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: flash in 64-bit

Post by thenktor »

Who cares about security if you can play shiny "Hello Kitty" games online? :twisted: :mrgreen:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

Well... it does seem that Adobe has abandoned 64-bit Flash Player again, and not just for Linux. It provided me with the material for a follow-up article for O'Reilly at http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2011/06/on ... ndons.html.

I may have to overcome my allergy to PulseAudio and try building Lightspark for 64-bit SalixOS/Slackware again. It seems like gnash+Lightspark may be the best solution.

Oh, and yes, that link to the article was a bit of shameless self-promotion :D
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Nice article and it even mentions Salix :mrgreen:
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

thenktor wrote:Nice article and it even mentions Salix :mrgreen:
Of course. Couldn't resist the urge to give my current favorite desktop distro a plug.

BTW, Adobe did respond and promised a 64-bit native Flash Player this year. See: http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2011/06/ad ... -late.html
paradise

Post by paradise »

Hello, I am french, I just installed Salix64, and for Flash I installed without a problem flash-player-plugin-10.0.45.2-x86_64-1.txz.

It works fine.
PC : ASUS P5Q - Intel Q9650 - 4 Go DDR2 1066 - eVga 260gtx 216sp - Webcam Hercules Infinite
Portable Fujitsu A 530
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

paradise wrote:Hello, I am french, I just installed Salix64, and for Flash I installed without a problem flash-player-plugin-10.0.45.2-x86_64-1.txz.

It works fine.
But it dates to 11 February 2010 and I'm sure it has security issues.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Just found a firefox plugin that can make living without flash a bit easier. It's called FlashVideoReplacer. It only works for flash videos of course, no games or anything else. I have already set youtube to play html5 videos, but for the few times that only the flash version is available, this works. Until now, if a video was not available in html5, I just wasn't viewing it. It introduces a small glitch when starting webm videos, but they play fine in the end. It also supports other sites, like vimeo, metacafe and a few more. Works fine as far as I've seen.

You need mplayer for this and probably also mplayerplug-in. I've only tried it with the mplayer2 package+mplayerplug-in we have in the 13.37 repositories, should work with the old MPlayer package too I guess. Maybe it could work with the parole web plugin, but I didn't try it.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:Just found a firefox plugin that can make living without flash a bit easier. It's called FlashVideoReplacer.
Does this only work for youtube or for all video sites?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Not only with youtube, but not all of them either. It works with vimeo, metacafe, blip.tv, ustream and maybe it works with some more. I found that dailymotion videos linked from 3rd party sites play if you click on them, get the error message that you need flash and then right click on them and select "Play video".
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

pwatk wrote:Could Lightspark be the answer to x86_64 flash?
IMHO, no. Lightspark only does a small subset of what Flash Player does and depends on gnash for teh rest. It also has a long list of dependencies including Pulse Audio that are typically not found on a Slackware or Slackware-based system.