opera -11_10

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: opera -11_10

Post by JRD »

I agree with Lacy. If we have Opera package in our repo and a security version has been released, we should upgrade the package (by the way I see no reason to use Opera on Linux, it's close source, and there are already good free-open-source browsers).
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

laci wrote:It needs rpm to build the package. :( /usr/src/opera-11.10/SLKBUILD uses tar.xz from opera site, but slapt-src's newer opera package uses rpm. It would be simplier if the packager use tar.xz as "source" (as he did with 11.10) and not rpm. Can you fix this?
I've written a mail to the maintainer of the Slackbuild.
laci wrote:Another question. What's the policy about binary package upgrades in Salix? Firefox upgraded from 4.0 to 4.0.1 in Salix binary repo, why not Opera?
I've considered removing Opera from our repository because it's available trough slapt-src. For future package additions it is planned add binary packages only if they are needed for the iso. Otherwise they will be added to our own official SLKBUILD repo that is accessible through slapt-src: http://salix.enialis.net/slkbuild/13.37 ... dlist.html This makes mainaining more simple. Furthermore SLKBUILDs only should be added if there is no SlackBuild already available.
laci wrote:Note: I'm an advanced Linux user, I can update SLKBUILD file to 11.11, or make SlackBuild script, but I've installed Salix for beginner users and it would be better if Salix official repo include this update, so salix-update-notifier notifies these kind of users about update and they can upgrade with some clicks without unofficial repo or without the need of install package manually with spkg.
I agree that the lack of an upgrade option of slapt-src is an issue here. This needs to be investigated to find a nice solution.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
laci

Post by laci »

I fully accept removing Opera from Salix binary repo, because of the one program per task philosophy. Thank you, thenktor for writing to the maintainer, I hope the source package will be fixed sooner. I agree with you, that the best solution would be the integration of slapt-src into the salix-update-notifier.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

laci wrote:It needs rpm to build the package. :(
So, where's the problem?
laci

Post by laci »

gapan wrote:
laci wrote:It needs rpm to build the package. :(
So, where's the problem?
There is tar.xz at Opera's official site, which is much better for packaging. Ask ruario. ;) Or ask thenktor, who made SLKBUILD. Next time I have to install dpkg, rpm, pacman, etc. package manager, because a maintainer choose the most complex solution for packaging? :)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I didn't even notice that it needs rpm because I already had it installed ;) Using the tar.xz is a better idea for packaging IMHO but it's not a problem to use the rpm.
ruario

Post by ruario »

You can use this script to convert any Opera, Opera Next or Opera Labs tar package into Slackware format

http://people.opera.com/ruario/slkbuilds/op2slk

Just save it to the same directory where you have the Opera tar package saved and issue './op2slk', after making it executable. (You could even rename it to opera.SlackBuild first, if it makes you feel better :P)

Alternatively you can place the op2slk in your $PATH, which means you can specify package to convert, e.g. 'op2slk ~/Downloads/opera-next-11.50-1020.i386.linux.tar.xz'. The easiest way to get op2slk in your path is to install op2slk-0.9.11-noarch-1ro.tgz.

Installing op2slk-0.9.11-noarch-1ro.tgz has the extra advantage that it comes with a script (opupdate), that you can use to automatically pull down and convert the latest Opera stable and test packages.

More info here:
Automatic conversion of Opera and Opera Next tar packages into Slackware format
A poor man's auto-update with snapshot support
Last edited by ruario on 28. May 2011, 10:09, edited 2 times in total.
ruario

Post by ruario »

If you want I can maintain the SLKBUILD I suppose. Assuming, you are happy with the way I write my SLKBUILDs and the current maintainer is willing to let me take over. ;)

Here are a couple of examples I knocked up for Opera and Opera Next

http://people.opera.com/ruario/slkbuilds/opera/SLKBUILD
http://people.opera.com/ruario/slkbuild ... t/SLKBUILD

Note: In case you are wondering, Opera Next has a different format for the pkgver intentionally. This happens because we issue multiple Opera Next versions with the same 'version' number. It doesn't really matter though, particularly as Opera Next is an entirely separate package from Opera (they do not share files or profiles).
laci

Post by laci »

ruario wrote:If you want I can maintain the SLKBUILD I suppose. Assuming, you are happy with the way I write my SLKBUILDs and the current maintainer is willing to let me take over. ;)
I think that would be the best solution for us, if you maintain the package.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

ruario wrote:If you want I can maintain the SLKBUILD I suppose. Assuming, you are happy with the way I write my SLKBUILDs and the current maintainer is willing to let me take over. ;)
Of course you can. IIRC I've already suggested this to you ;)