Please change your repository mirror!

DrCR

Re: Please change your repository mirror!

Post by DrCR »

Just a quick note for new guys:
It may be easier to just use slapt-get to grab whatever may be the latest version.

Code: Select all

#slapt-get --update
#slapt-get --install salixtools
#reposetup
gapan, just a thought, but perhaps the tool could be tweaked to automatically backup the slapt-getrc and slapt-getsrcrc files, but perhaps this tool will no longer be needful once we are all on 14.1.

Best Regards
gaucho wrote:Yesterday I needed to use the reposetup tool on my Salix installation, and I noticed a couple of minor points in the instructions that should be updated. I thought it might be helpful to point them out:
gapan wrote:To make this change easier, I have written a new system tool, reposetup. It is now in the repositories (or should be when all mirrors have synced), but if you're using enialis, you'll never get it as that server is not being updated. This new tool is included in an updated salixtools package, so if you want to use it, download the new package from the following URL:
http://download.salixos.org/i486/14.0/s ... ch-1gv.txz
The link above returns a "404 Not Found" error message. Apparently, gapan updated this utility to ver. 1.8.0, so the new link should be: http://download.salixos.org/i486/14.0/s ... ch-1gv.txz
gapan wrote:This package will work correctly only on Salix 14.0.

Once you have it, open a terminal window in the same directory where you downloaded it and run:

su
spkg -u salixtools-1.7.0-noarch-1gv.txz
reposetup
which will bring up a dialog to select a mirror.
Therefore the CLI instructions for running reposetup should now read:

su
spkg -u salixtools-1.8.0-noarch-1gv.txz
reposetup
Once I figured that out, everything worked like a charm. :)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

DrCR wrote:gapan, just a thought, but perhaps the tool could be tweaked to automatically backup the slapt-getrc and slapt-getsrcrc files
There is no need for a backup, since it keeps every other configuration line that doesn't have to do with the default mirrors.
DrCR wrote:but perhaps this tool will no longer be needful once we are all on 14.1.
On the contrary, it's even used in the installer in 14.1.
salixo

Post by salixo »

Sasquatch wrote:Is any of this relevant to my new 14.1 install?
I installed Salix kde 14.0.1 from dvd. I use mobilebroadband and I reach alls defaults configurations from DVD.

I update the system from Gslapt and , currently, I have salixtools 1.8.0 on my system but enialis continue on my /etc/gslapt/slapt-getrc. I copy here:

# Working directory for local storage/cache.
WORKINGDIR=/var/slapt-get

# Exclude package names and expressions.
# To exclude pre and beta packages, add this to the exclude:
# [0-9\_\.\-]{1}pre[0-9\-\.\-]{1}
EXCLUDE=^aaa_elflibs,^aaa_base,^devs,^glibc.*,^kernel-.*,^udev,^rootuser-settings,^zzz-settings.*,-i?86-

# This is a Slackware repository that only holds dependency info. The
# actual packages are downloaded from a real Slackware mirror. Read
# http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... cy_support
# if you want to use another Slackware mirror and keep the dependency
# information.
SOURCE=http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/slackwa ... /:OFFICIAL
SOURCE=http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/slackwa ... /:OFFICIAL

# The Salix repository
SOURCE=http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/14.0/:PREFERRED

# Sources for the testing and pasture areas - if you use them.
# SOURCE=ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slac ... 0/testing/
# SOURCE=ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slac ... 0/pasture/

# Packages on a CD/DVD.
# SOURCE=file:///mnt/cdrom/:OFFICIAL

# Home made packages.
# SOURCE=file:///var/www/packages/:CUSTOM

must I configure my mirrors anyway?

Sorry, I a little newcomer.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

salixo wrote:I update the system from Gslapt and , currently, I have salixtools 1.8.0 on my system but enialis continue on my /etc/gslapt/slapt-getrc.
Fire up a terminal and as root do:

root[rich]# reposetup 
Then pick the mirror of your choice from the dialog box that comes up.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
salixo

Post by salixo »

Thanks ! I did it. Mirror list updated with reposetup.
bobc

Post by bobc »

I installed the 32 bit openbox 14.1 today and tried to update via gslapt, which failed, then tried the reposetup and it gets "Failed to download: Couldn't resolve host name" errors.

Maybe its a different problem.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

bobc wrote:I installed the 32 bit openbox 14.1 today and tried to update via gslapt, which failed, then tried the reposetup and it gets "Failed to download: Couldn't resolve host name" errors.

Do you actually have a working network connection?
bobc

Post by bobc »

gapan wrote:
bobc wrote:I installed the 32 bit openbox 14.1 today and tried to update via gslapt, which failed, then tried the reposetup and it gets "Failed to download: Couldn't resolve host name" errors.

Do you actually have a working network connection?
Yes, that's a valid question. When I installed I didn't have it hardwired in and was hoping the laptop's (Dell Latitude D620) built in wifi would work. When I first got the error in gslapt, I moved to a place I could plug in when I saw I had no wifi and wicd couldn't find either of my wifi routers. According to ifconfig, I am connected, and have an ip address, and i was able to ping the mirror but with 4% packet loss. I tried the update in gslapt using a couple different local mirrors, and also again after rebooting. Then I found this thread, but I think your reposetup might be having the same problem.

3rd try. I Rebooted under Manjaro and it connects fine, so I rebooted under Salix again, and reran reposetup, but instead of selecting a mirror in the US I selected one in France, and everything ran fine, and when I go to gslapt, it shows other programs. I was afraid there were no other programs, LOL.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Well, then you probably didn't have an internet connection when you first tried to use reposetup, so it's only natural that it wouldn't connect. Your router might have disconnected from your ISP, or your ISP could be having problems. Or maybe your router had assigned the same IP to two different devices,some routers have a bug that does that, so neither device can connect properly. Then once it assigns a different IP everything magically works.