flash in 64-bit

christian

Re: flash in 64-bit

Post by christian »

Same here, works fine here and doesn't eat up my CPU.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Here's square.p3, another update on the 64bit plugin development version:
http://pnboy.pinguix.com/gapan/salix/fl ... 64-1gv.txz
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Thank you.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I did not find any problems with these dev builds, yet. But ok, the only stuff I'm using flash for are web videos and music (youtube, last.fm, bandcamp, myspace, ...).
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

thenktor wrote:I did not find any problems with these dev builds, yet.
They've been flawless here as well.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

I noticed that Salix OS 13.37 (64-bit) still only offers gnash in the repository. I also noticed that there never was a proper release of Flash 10.3.x for 64-bit Linux. That last Flash Player Square beta was 10.2 p3 from November, 2010. Does anyone know if any of the various and sundry security issues with Flash Player 10.2 or 10.3 affect 64-bit Linux? Is installing the last version of Square tantamount to installing security vulnerabilities or is it reasonably safe, at least by Flash standards?
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

caitlyn wrote:I noticed that Salix OS 13.37 (64-bit) still only offers gnash in the repository. I also noticed that there never was a proper release of Flash 10.3.x for 64-bit Linux. That last Flash Player Square beta was 10.2 p3 from November, 2010. Does anyone know if any of the various and sundry security issues with Flash Player 10.2 or 10.3 affect 64-bit Linux? Is installing the last version of Square tantamount to installing security vulnerabilities or is it reasonably safe, at least by Flash standards?
As far as I know Adobe don't support ANY 64bits OS and don't have any plans to have an official build for them, so the only way to have flash in those platforms is to install a unofficial "preview" version (aka square) provided in their labs page.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

"Preview" implies a final release sooner or later. As you say, there was no 10.2 final for 64-bit Linux and there is no sign of 10.3 development at all. Adobe has removed the forum for discussing the Square previews from their website. So... my question really wasn't answered. Are we back to square one with Adobe? Are we left with a choice of gnash or an old, unsupported beta with security issues? Are there security issues? Is there development that I don't know about?
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

caitlyn wrote:Are we left with a choice of gnash or an old, unsupported beta with security issues? Are there security issues? Is there development that I don't know about?
I don't really know about flash and I don't really care either. I'm still using the square beta, which works fine for me. No idea about security issues, but I use flashblock and only allow flash on "trusted" sites like youtube or lastfm.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I guess nobody really knows except adobe engineers, but I would be really surprised if the 64bit "square" previews were not full of the same security holes that are in older 32bit versions.