salix as a server

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
luddite

salix as a server

Post by luddite »

What do you think about using Salixos for a basic server set up. By this I mean I propose to use the server in schools Ghana.

Now I could use Zentyal but I don't want to mainly because I want a nice lean system that is based on something thing that isn't too cutting edge, & isn't alienating itself from its origins , and has a chance of being understood by someone that is not a kernel hacker; well with my user name you can see I’m no hacker!

Now for a school say with ten computers I could link them up simply to a router by means of Ethernet cable , and give the server one a static IP, and install say apache-tomcat as a web server .
(Linux.org has a noarch txz)

I actually did this with another slackware based distro in Ghana and did manage to see a JSP & html page from a client machine by going to a URL of the server which was something like http:2 forward slashes 192.168.02:8080 forward slash index dot jsp to get the welcome page up.
( the forum says I can not post url )
So with this at least it would give Intranet possibilities. I am now more interested to see what I can do with salix now I’ve more time & back in the U.K

I guess I should be able to set something up for file sharing( all the client machines can also be running salix) The client machines when they want internet access could use the gateway of the router when they don't want Intranet. Any suggestions welcome- is this just too simple?

My problem is that anything too complicated there will not be anybody to fix it; that problem for now is down to me!
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: salix as a server

Post by thenktor »

Of course you can use Salix as a server. Just install the "core" and then choose some server software you want. I'd suggest cherokee as a web server because it has a nice web configuration interface or even mongoose if you you only want a basic web server for your ten clients.
For file sharing you can use NFS which is easy to set up, too.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
luddite

Post by luddite »

thenktor

thanks

apche-tomcat i use for testing jsp's so probably use that ; can anybody suggest simple mail server , computers
mainly on an intranet basis.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

sendmail is available through slapt-get/gslapt. You can also install exim or postfix with slapt-src/sourcery too.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

But don't expect them to be simple ;) E.g. see here http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... ail_server
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
luddite

Post by luddite »

ok

don't know if this post should go here , if not please move it.
i'm going to play with salixos for the server but not install just the core, I will install full salixos onto a machine which has one hard drive with only Zenwalk on it.i don't want to remove Zenwalk as it is currently used for testing out MySQL data & jsp pages prior to loading to web site.

now I I have swap root & home think its sda1,sda2,sda3 and using lilo in mbr .

So will probably use ubuntu disk to push Zenwalk into 20gig on a 40 gig drive. then drop out of ubuntu & use cdisk, fdisk from zenwalk to create sda for home sda for root for saiixos.I believe i don't have to create another swap. Will salixos find & use the swap already installed.

Then i will boot up salixos in cd drive and install into new virgin root & home partitions.

Have had a look at existing etc/lilo.conf

I know i have to add some entry like image = /boot/vmlinuz
label= Salix
# not sure about this one append ="root=/dev/sda4"

then i think I have to # lilo -v

any suggestions please before i start ?
Shador

Post by Shador »

You're already using 3 primary partitions. So you need to create sda4 as extended partition to be able to manage more than 4 partitions. Then you can use sda5 for / and sda6 for /home.
This means you need to add an entry to lilo.conf like this:

Code: Select all

image = <path to mountpoint of sda5 in Zenwalk>/boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/sda5
label = Salix
read-only
append="quiet vt.default_utf8=1"
Then run on zenwalk:

zenwalk# lilo -v
luddite wrote:Will salixos find & use the swap already installed.
Yes, it offers you to use it.
luddite

Post by luddite »

Ok thanks for help, well good job I backed up er hem, cause it didn't go to plan; never mind
I now have

/dev/sda1 swap
/dev/sda2 salixos root
/dev/ sda3 salixos home
/dev/sda4 is extended partition
/dev/sda5 is a logical partition zenwalk

Zenwalk only asked for two partitions the swap which it found & used sda1 ,and
one other linux partition , so used sda5

Lilo was easier than expected & this is the main bit of /etc/lilo.conf it works anyway , and both distros boot up fine. Here is the main bit of lilo.conf

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
append=" resume=/dev/sda1 nomodeset splash=silent"
boot = /dev/sda
bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
bmp-table=234p,348p,1,4
bmp-colors=220,0,,255,220,
bmp-timer=539p,396p,220,0,
prompt
timeout = 90
# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
change-rules
  reset
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
vga = 791

# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/sda5
  label = Zenwalk
  initrd = /boot/initrd.splash
  read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends

#add salix
image = /boot/vmlinuz
root= /dev/sda2
label = salix
Now unfortuntely I don't have any means of internet at the moment except a USB huawei modem, I got this working fine on Zenwalk (2.6.37.4) by installing wvdial-1.61-i486-64.2.txz and wvstreams-4.6.1-i486-64.1.tgz, then installing a huawei helper package he220rc2 ; so I tried the same on Salixos, I edited resolvconf & put user & passwords
into /etc/wvdial.conf . The terminal outputs “libpam.so.0” no such file, can not open.

Maybe the wvdial & streams are wrong, any ideas about libpam.so.0

Edit: I put your lilo.conf in code tags for easier reading -pwatk
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Slackware (and of course Salix) doesn't support PAM so you're going to have to rebuild one or more of those packages. wvdial and wvstreams can be install through Sourcery/slapt-src but he220rc2 will need some research on your part.

I don't know if this helps but here's some other topics in this forum on UMTS modems:
http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=270
http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... lit=wvdial
luddite

Post by luddite »

cheers for suggestions

problem solved, I remembered that i brought back from Africa with me a Tenda router see ..http://www.tenda.cn/

the router has 4 ethernet ports, and can be connected to a network either by ethernet cable, or by putting in a usb modm in its usb slot. Just got it working so now connected. Very handy piece of kit! So don't have to worry about wvdial now