opera -11_10

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
ruario

Re: opera -11_10

Post by ruario »

Wow, that was fast, Gapan updated them almost immediately. Thanks, you guys are efficient!

Also, thanks to Thenktor and everyone else in this thread.

@laci: If 11.50 also includes security fixes then sure I'll probably request 13.1, 13.37 and current are updated because as you say, there is only one supported Opera version and users shouldn't be left vulnerable. However, if there are no security fixes then I suppose I should only request that current is updated. Users of 13.1 and 13.37 can always get the latest package from SlackBuilds, the current repository or use my op2slk conversion script anyway.
ruario

Post by ruario »

Thenktor, does the above sound correct to you or is it still ok to request updates to the stable distro repositories even when there are no security considerations?

(When I say 'request updates', I intend to update the SLKBUILD and packages anyway. The request part is about which repository they go into.)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Request update for security updates only. But I guess most time this is the case anyway ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
ruario

Post by ruario »

Unfortunately, yes we do seem to have at least one security update with most releases. I really wish that wasn't true! :(

I don't think we (or indeed any of the browser development teams) are doing a bad job writing secure code but browser rendering engines are horribly complex these days. Add to the fact that writing exploits that target browsers is probably the best attack vector for those wishing to do something nefarious because pretty much everyone uses them all the time and the browser is expected to try and process junk HTML, Javascript and CSS from any site the user points it at, rather than just rejecting the input for not conforming to specifications.

However, I will be good and won't try to use this as an excuse to push out the latest Opera to 13.1 and 13.37 users. Despite that being my natural tendency as an Opera fan and employee. ;)

If we do release updates, which don't fix security holes, I'll only request that current be updated. I obviously don't expect Opera to get any kind of special treatment with regards to update policies.
ruario

Post by ruario »

This is 'kinda' on topic, so I hope the devs and moderators don't mind me mentioning it here. ;) If anyone wants Slackware packages for Opera Next 11.50 development builds I usually store the latest one for my own usage here:

http://people.opera.com/ruario/snapshot/

As these are Opera Next packages, they will install alongside the stable Opera package (without any file ownership conflicts) and use their own unique profile, meaning you can run them both at the same time. A different icon set, "Opera Next" naming to the desktop files and other small hints will allow you to easily select and distinguish between stable Opera and Opera Next.

P.S. The best way to find out about the release of new development builds is to subscribe to the RSS feed on the Opera Desktop Team Blog.