sound problems

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
toothandnail

sound problems

Post by toothandnail »

Installed on my Thinkpad T61. The Intel-HDA module is correctly loaded. As has been the case with Zenwalk and Vector, I have to fiddle with the controls in order to get audio to work. Under Xfce, I have to open the mixer, which then reports 'no controls selected'. I select master, pcm, headphones, speakers. I then have to use the 'Switches' tab in the mixer. At this point, the headphone switch is ticked, but the speaker switch is not. Tick 'speaker' and I have sound.

However.... Restart the machine, and I have to select the mixer and tick the speaker switch, or I have no sound. Volume changes are also not preserved between boots.

While the HDA support has been poor with both Zenwalk and Vector, I've not had this problem with either of them.

Any ideas for a fix?

paul.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: sound problems

Post by gapan »

I had to create an /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file with the following contents:

Code: Select all

options snd-hda-intel model=auto
to have sound perfectly working with my intel sourdcard:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
Janttu1999 also had a similar problem but had to specify the specific model to make it work properly. For a list of all models look in /usr/src/linux-2.6.29.6/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt
You can get the ALC number somewhere in /proc/asound/Intel/codec#0 or something like that.
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

gapan wrote:I had to create an /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file with the following contents:

options snd-hda-intel model=auto
to have sound perfectly working with my intel sourdcard:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
Tried that. My card is as below:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
Using 'model-auto' didn't help.
Janttu1999 also had a similar problem but had to specify the specific model to make it work properly. For a list of all models look in /usr/src/linux-2.6.29.6/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt
You can get the ALC number somewhere in /proc/asound/Intel/codec#0 or something like that.
:? I had a look through the HD-Audio-Models.txt, and also had a look in /proc/asound/Intel/codec#0. Trouble is, I've no idea how to interpret it. I couldn't find any ALC number in codec#0, but I may be missing something.

It looks as though I should be using something from the ALC662/663 list, but I'm not sure what to specify. I tried lenovo-101e, but that hasn't helped. I still have to manually enable the speaker each time I boot the machine. Not sure if I'm using the correct data though....

Thanks for the suggestions...

paul.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

toothandnail wrote:I couldn't find any ALC number in codec#0, but I may be missing something.
It's the very first line here:

Codec: Realtek ALC883
Also, I think aumix has the ability to save and restore audio settings. Maybe you can find a workaround with it loading the settings you want at boot time?
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

gapan wrote:
toothandnail wrote:I couldn't find any ALC number in codec#0, but I may be missing something.

Ah. Right. Which means I've got AD1984. Put that in, didn't seem to make any difference.
Also, I think aumix has the ability to save and restore audio settings. Maybe you can find a workaround with it loading the settings you want at boot time?
:) I've found a workaround. Used alsamixer, then alsactl to save. Seems to be working so far....

paul.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

toothandnail wrote:
gapan wrote:

Ah. Right. Which means I've got AD1984. Put that in, didn't seem to make any difference.
So, your model should probably be on of these:

AD1984
======
  basic         default configuration
  thinkpad      Lenovo Thinkpad T61/X61
  dell          Dell T3400