Saying Howdy...

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
Mol_Bolom

Saying Howdy...

Post by Mol_Bolom »

Well, I didn't see a Introduction forum, so eh, I'm saying Hello here...:D...

It's been about a week since I installed it, and only have had a few problems. Blacklisting ipv6; xfce, X, and FF froze when I rebooted into Salix (My son had rebooted the computer into Windows Vista without closing FF and so when I rebooted it back into Salix FF started coming on after I clicked on UrbanTerror then the it froze to which I had to press alt+f2 in order to close down FF). One odd thing about that though, it happened somewhat a second time and both times it generated two panels, a smaller one on top of the normal panel. However, I didn't check to see what the problem was, perhaps the same problem I saw reported in the Problems forum or something to do with the nvidia driver. Have to remember to check the errors. :oops: . Another problem, which oddly enough is the same problem I had with Zenwalk 5.2, Wolfenstein ET doesn't have any sound.

All in all though, not bad. I just used a slackbuild to build GoogleEarth for my youngest son and he had a blast with it. That's the best thing of all, I can use what I know with Slackware in order to either fix it or add a program to it and still it is pretty and easy to use for my wife and kids, and UT4, ET, as well as OpenOffice on only a 20gb partition, beautiful...:D...

And I like the new gdm, was able to add dwm to the system with no problems, though it took me a while to figure out I had to chmod the Xclients file. Though, that's more for me than my family... :mrgreen:

I do have a couple of questions.
1. The Gnome selection on gdm. Why is it the same as with Zenwalk 5.2? "Your session lasted 10 seconds" (or something similar). I remember that when I first installed Zenwalk in Sept of last year. I haven't really looked into it, and perhaps now that I've written it down I'll remember to check it out tomorrow.

2. Has anyone noticed xfce not running the splash screen when it starts? (Again, now that I've written about it maybe I'll actually remember to look into it tomarrow, bloody forgetfulness)...

Unfortunately, I don't know what I could help with, but hopefully something. I would like to help out any way I could...

Mol Bolom
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Saying Howdy...

Post by gapan »

Hi Mol_Bolom! :)
Mol_Bolom wrote:1. The Gnome selection on gdm. Why is it the same as with Zenwalk 5.2? "Your session lasted 10 seconds" (or something similar). I remember that when I first installed Zenwalk in Sept of last year. I haven't really looked into it, and perhaps now that I've written it down I'll remember to check it out tomorrow.
There is no gnome in Salix. There are some gnome applications, but no gnome.
Mol_Bolom wrote:2. Has anyone noticed xfce not running the splash screen when it starts? (Again, now that I've written about it maybe I'll actually remember to look into it tomarrow, bloody forgetfulness)...
That's because there is no splash screen! :D
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Mol_Bolom,

Hi & welcome :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Mol_Bolom

Post by Mol_Bolom »

Figured those two questions out rather quickly, so yeah, I just needed to write the darn things down... :shock: ...Getting extremely forgetful and absentminded the older I get...Sheesh...
gapan wrote: There is no gnome in Salix. There are some gnome applications, but no gnome.
Hmm...Then why a gdm selection? Probably auto installed by gdm, hence Gnome Display Manager.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Mol_Bolom wrote:Hmm...Then why a gdm selection? Probably auto installed by gdm, hence Gnome Display Manager.
Because gdm is the only full featured login manager. For KDE based systems there is also kdm, but it's not that good as gdm either. Besides, if you forget about the name, there is nothing specific to gnome in gdm, it only requires gtk+2, it has no gnome dependencies and therefore is ideal for an xfce based system.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

For Firefox, I'm sure I understand very well the problem, but maybe your sonn has saved the XFCE session, so the Firefox is launch back each time XFCE is run, and Firefox restore his session also, openning URLs/Windows/Tabs opened when your soon rebooted to Vista.
You may close all windows and quit XFCE with registrating the session, log back in, and this time, when you quit XFCE, don't register the session anymore.
But...As I'm not sure I really understand the problem, maybe I just said bullshit.

By the way : Welcome !
Mol_Bolom

Post by Mol_Bolom »

gapan wrote:
Mol_Bolom wrote:Hmm...Then why a gdm selection? Probably auto installed by gdm, hence Gnome Display Manager.
Because gdm is the only full featured login manager. For KDE based systems there is also kdm, but it's not that good as gdm either. Besides, if you forget about the name, there is nothing specific to gnome in gdm, it only requires gtk+2, it has no gnome dependencies and therefore is ideal for an xfce based system.
:shock: Woops...I meant Gnome not gdm...That's what I get for writing while tired...
JRD wrote:For Firefox, I'm sure I understand very well the problem, but maybe your sonn has saved the XFCE session, so the Firefox is launch back each time XFCE is run, and Firefox restore his session also, openning URLs/Windows/Tabs opened when your soon rebooted to Vista.
You may close all windows and quit XFCE with registrating the session, log back in, and this time, when you quit XFCE, don't register the session anymore.
But...As I'm not sure I really understand the problem, maybe I just said bullshit.

By the way : Welcome !
After using it for several hours yesterday without any problems and the rebooting into it last night to fix some sound problems as well as now, I am certain that it's not even a problem. It most likely is just a fluke, not like I haven't ran into those before. However, I'll be sure to turn off the save session.

Thanks.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

For Firefox, I'm sure I understand very well the problem
I obviously would have meant "not sure" here !
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Mol_Bolom wrote: :shock: Woops...I meant Gnome not gdm...That's what I get for writing while tired...
So... I don't really get what you meant in that case. :D