salix fast?...

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
geno

salix fast?...

Post by geno »

fast
that says on home page-about salix-... it is faster than gentoo or yoper or even kongoni?
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: salix fast?...

Post by thenktor »

This always depends on which services you are running, which desktop you are using and what hardware you have. In general there should not be much difference between different distributions.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
geno

Post by geno »

hi there!

seems pretty fast to me now i'm testing...
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Nice to hear :)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Cann0n

Post by Cann0n »

Computing power has more to do with that. Slackware tends to take a bit longer to boot than other distros I have tried. Salix boots pretty quick without any modifications. I managed to get my Slackware boot time from about 2 minutes down to about 20 seconds by configuring the kernel to only support the hardware I need, tweaking the start up scripts, ridding things I don't use, and running as many processes in the background as possible. Hardware matters greatly.

With Salix, I'd say it is very fast. I've only been using it for 2 days. It's definitely the first distro I've seen that comes with a flash plugin. Not to mention mplayer and an easy way to resolve the media deps. If anyone hasn't had to do things the old way (before SlackBuilds), compiling mplayer and all the dependencies was an all night task, especially with lower system specs.

With slapt-get, even though no repo's can't be compared with rpm based ones, Salix combines the stability and simplicity paired with the ease of middle-class package management. Since the default DE is xfce4, that reduces the amount of resources needed, hence easier on the system load.

With environments like KDE, a simple program like kwrite requires many KDE services and what not. Notice Salix doesn't come with the bloat? I'm running an Acer Aspire 5532 with 2GB Ram and 1.6GHz AMD 64bit processor. It's very fast with Salix.

Sorry to ramble on. I'm just hypnotized with Salix.

So yes, Salix is fast.