Raspberry Pi

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by gapan »

Yes, devices that consume more power than the 100mA that the pi offers through its USB ports will be unstable and might even make the pi itself unstable. There is a list of wifi usb adaptors that are known to work with the pi in the raspberry pi wiki.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

This looks like an easy how-to for omxplayer with Raspbian:

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20120 ... Page1.html
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Exaga

Post by Exaga »

Hi slackers!

Just found this forum and had a good read. It's positively flowing with enthusiasm! Great to see. :D

Just to let you know the rpi.fatdog.eu site has been updated. The installation guide has been revamped with much simpler and straight-forward instructions and now includes our own modified installer (based on Dave Spencer's work). Our Slackware ARM installer images are approx. 41MB and available in both .zip and .xz formats. If you're using a Linux system to prepare your SD/SDHC card the image is written in less than a minute. No waiting around, so you can get straight on with installing Slackware ARM. Both Windows and Linux methods for preparing a SD/SDHC card have been thoroughly tested and work flawlessly if you follow the step-by-step guide provided on our website.

I hope our efforts are useful and will solve some problems which a few of you have been experiencing in getting Slackware ARM Linux installed on your Raspberry Pi's.

Apologies for the lack of clickable-links as this was my first post here. :lol:

Cheers,
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Hey Exaga just wanedt to say thanks forhttp://rpi.fatdog.eu/?p=home. With the help of your site (before the recent updates) and Salix slkbuilds I manage to get this up and running on my rpi
[IMG=http://imageshack.us/a/img849/863/scree ... 309191.png][/IMG]

That's Slackware Arm 14.0 customized with Salix Openbox. It runs, but on the slow side. Would like to try some overclocking to see how much improvement I could get. Does fatdog plan on adding something to the config.txt file to help with overclocking, something along the lines of raspbian's raspi-config?
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
Exaga

Post by Exaga »

laprjns wrote:Hey Exaga just wanedt to say thanks for rpi.fatdog.eu/?p=home. With the help of your site (before the recent updates) and Salix slkbuilds I manage to get this up and running on my rpi

That's Slackware Arm 14.0 customized with Salix Openbox. It runs, but on the slow side. Would like to try some overclocking to see how much improvement I could get. Does fatdog plan on adding something to the config.txt file to help with overclocking, something along the lines of raspbian's raspi-config?
Hi there laprjns,

Thanks very much too for letting me know you found our SARPi guide helpful. Its main aim is to introduce people to Slackware, who want to install and run it on a Raspberry Pi, without making it too easy, while giving them an introductory education on how to achieve it successfully. We decided not to go down the "here's an image - decompress it to an SD card - boot it in your RPi - login as root" road. We wanted people to learn what they were doing and why. Dave Spencer's images seemed to cater for this but without any real educational explanations. This is why we chose to use Dave's work as a base and elaborate on it in our step-by-step guide. All the credit goes to those who have already done the hard work, really. All we did on rpi.fatdog.eu is tweak a few things here and there and make it easier to understand. :)

The screenie you posted certainly looks great! So glad you have managed to get things running reliably, and even though it may be a little sluggish at times on the Raspberry Pi, if it's stable it's all good. I'm hearing and reading good things about Salix Openbox being a super lightweight and very user-friendly windows manager. I might just give it a try myself, as time permits.

Call me a killjoy, if you will, but overclocking is not something I recommend. There's too many unestablished variables involved and results can be somewhat chaotic. I've known some people spend hours on their OS, getting it running and configured perfectly, only to find their SD card has become corrupt after messing around with the clock settings and voltages. In my mind, if the Raspberry Pi was meant to run at higher clock frequencies then it would have been designed to do just that. Better to stick within established parameters and you will have a lot less headaches that way. Incidentally, if you do wish to try overclocking there's some useful info on the elinux(dot)org/RPi_config.txt#Overclocking page. Good luck if you do. FatDog.eu doesn't plan on including it for the time being. ;)

Cheers,
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

omxplayer is working just fine with Raspbian! I can't now remember what I did - possibly just installed it from the repo.

I certainly didn't need to do any of the tweaks mentioned in the above link. It plays everything crystal clear and with no jerking or flicker.

I look forward to playing with the Slackware/Salix version. For now though, Raspbian does everything I want. The secret is to avoid using X. My list of core apps:
alpine
omxplayer
mplayer
rtorrent
mc
macabber
charm
w3m

If I do want to use X, I have XMonad installed, along with st and surf (terminal and browser from www.suckless.org, respectively). The X application I most miss is Pyroom.