Introduction

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
shanek54
Donor

Introduction

Post by shanek54 »

Hi,
I am looking at using Linux again after a long break from FOSS. I was always partial to Slackware, but setting up a working Desktop is a long process under vanilla Slackware :-)
Salix seems to fit the bill nicely, so in the interests of getting myself back into the swing of Linux and to do some payback for all the work done by the core team, I am looking to make some packages, perhaps later maintain some packages and generally contribute.
To that end, would it be possible to give me a wiki account so that I can contribute with some pages?
I have joined the mailing list and look forward to contributing to what I hope will be my desktop system of choice for many years to come.

Thanks,
Shane Kelly
skk - at - shanek54 - dot - co - dot - uk
jayseye

Re: Introduction

Post by jayseye »

Welcome Shane, good to see you here as well as on the mailing list and on G+.

Thenktor still runs the Wiki AFAIK so, as someone else suggested somewhere :wink:, sending him a Private Message here may be the quickest way to get an account there.

Then again he may already have received your request in one venue or another.

Definitely agree with you about Salix being the easiest way to get up & running with Slackware. Just found out yesterday, by searching for my old posts on LinuxQuestions, that I've been a user since at least 2003 / 2004.
shanek54
Donor

Post by shanek54 »

Hi jayseye,
I was a long time Slackware user until there were concerns over Patrick Volkerdings' health around that time, when I switched to Arch, which I ran for quite a while - until the whole "rolling release" thing got in the way of work :-)

Lately (past 5 years) I have been a Mac user, but I have lost so many skills with the "user-friendly" Mac OS X and also, I am not happy with apples last two releases of Mac OS X (eye candy, anyone?) that I decided to get back into FOSS.
These days I do very little "technical" computing, but I have some spare time so I thought I would try to give a little back to the FOSS world - and upgrade my skill level too!

Enjoying Salix right now, (slackware stability, debian-ish package management, and some real thought in the default apps - what's not to like? )

Hope to contribute more in the future,

Regards,
Shane.
kcirick

Post by kcirick »

shanek54 wrote:Hi jayseye,
I was a long time Slackware user until there were concerns over Patrick Volkerdings' health around that time, when I switched to Arch, which I ran for quite a while - until the whole "rolling release" thing got in the way of work :-)

Lately (past 5 years) I have been a Mac user, but I have lost so many skills with the "user-friendly" Mac OS X and also, I am not happy with apples last two releases of Mac OS X (eye candy, anyone?) that I decided to get back into FOSS.
These days I do very little "technical" computing, but I have some spare time so I thought I would try to give a little back to the FOSS world - and upgrade my skill level too!

Enjoying Salix right now, (slackware stability, debian-ish package management, and some real thought in the default apps - what's not to like? )

Hope to contribute more in the future,

Regards,
Shane.
Hah, someone just like me. Slackware was the first linux experience, and I learnt most of my basic skills there. Then I did some distro hopping, and landed on Arch, which I used for a while, then, the same reason as you, I came to dislike the rolling release philosophy, having updates every half day became annoying, and I didn't like the constant changes... Alongside Arch I was using OSX, but there I was having some library errors when compiling some code for my work... plus I got bored of the OSX interface (where with linux you have countless choices of WMs to choose from), so now I'm happily back in Linux world (I do miss Preview, where you can just cut and crop pdf files really easily).

All that to say, Hello to you too!
shanek54
Donor

Post by shanek54 »

Hah, someone just like me. Slackware was the first linux experience, and I learnt most of my basic skills there. Then I did some distro hopping, and landed on Arch, which I used for a while, then, the same reason as you, I came to dislike the rolling release philosophy, having updates every half day became annoying, and I didn't like the constant changes... Alongside Arch I was using OSX, but there I was having some library errors when compiling some code for my work... plus I got bored of the OSX interface (where with linux you have countless choices of WMs to choose from), so now I'm happily back in Linux world (I do miss Preview, where you can just cut and crop pdf files really easily).

All that to say, Hello to you too!
Hi kcirick,
Sounds very familiar :-). At the moment I still have an iMac (and an older Macbook and an older iPhone and an iPad 1 ) but they are rapidly being left behind by Apples update policies and I am not spending thousands of pounds to update any more, so I am looking at alternatives - but like you, I do miss some of the really lovely programs I have gotten used to under MAC OSX. :-( - Ah well, gives me an incentive to help out on projects that I have an interest in...

Thanks for the welcome,

Regards,
Shane.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Hi Shane,

Warm welcome to Salix and big thank you for your early contributions on the wiki + packaging. :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
JWJones

Post by JWJones »

shanek54 wrote:Lately (past 5 years) I have been a Mac user, but I have lost so many skills with the "user-friendly" Mac OS X and also, I am not happy with apples last two releases of Mac OS X (eye candy, anyone?) that I decided to get back into FOSS.
I'm a Mac user by profession (print industry) and I have an iMac at home for the family. Linux user by choice, on my Thinkpad and a couple of desktop machines here at work (Slackware on one, Debian on the other).

Yeah, seriously, the last couple of Mac OSX releases are not for me, I stopped at 10.6.8.
shanek54
Donor

Post by shanek54 »

@akuna - Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

@jwjones - Glad that I am not alone in my opinion of the latest Mac OS X, but sad that I have come to have that opinion, as I do like Mac OS X as an operating system overall, but the accelerating adoption of IOS like features and its (necessary?) dumbing down of the whole user experience is just too much for me...

I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks :-)

Cheers,
Shane.
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

When Apple's Snow Leopard abandoned their PowerPC Macs, I returned the favor and installed Linux. Had a nice fling with Ubuntu for a while, and was even able to install the last Slackintosh on an original iMac.

These days the old Macs sit patiently, waiting for proper support from either Debian or Fedora -- whichever gets there first. :roll: My main requirement is a current version of Firefox. Actually I'd go with _any_ OS which could run that on a PPC Mac.

A 92-year old relative is currently migrating from his MacPro to a Nexus 10 tablet, rather than getting locked into anything iOS-related. :grin: