Which PIM program do you recommend?

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Which PIM program do you recommend?

Post by thenktor »

Hi,

I'm searching a PIM solution for a small office with 10-20 employees. At the moment KDE3 kontact is in use, but should be replaced. I need these features:
* support for multiple IMAP accounts
* support for syncing calendar & addressbook to a server (probably by CalDAV & CardDAV)

So far I know that kontact (KDE4) and evolution can do this. I've never really used evolution and my experience with kontact (KDE4) varies from "it works" to "a horrible mess with akonadi/wallet/some other KDE services".

Which one would you recommend and why?
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
jayseye

Re: Which PIM program do you recommend?

Post by jayseye »

We use Google (Docs) Calendar because: it Just Works; it's compatible with desktop browsers and mobile devices; and there are probably several desktop programs which sync with it as well. Wish I could suggest one of those, which is what you're really looking for. Just thought this might have some relevance from a confirmed usability POV.

BTW there's decent privacy using the free public version; perhaps better privacy in the business-oriented Google Apps version. I got that free for one of my domains, before they recently closed down the free version of Google Apps.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Yes, at home I'm very happy with the Google services, too. It just works and has a nice web interface (also I don't want to waste my time with self made solutions anymore). But sadly that's not an option for the office for various reasons (e.g. costs, in house IMAP archive).
jayseye wrote:BTW there's decent privacy using the free public version; perhaps better privacy in the business-oriented Google Apps version. I got that free for one of my domains, before they recently closed down the free version of Google Apps.
BTW: I've asked if we still can get a free service for @salixos.org, but they've never responded.
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

thenktor wrote:I've asked if we still can get a free service for @salixos.org, but they've never responded.
Too late now I think, as I heard that free Google Apps is closed to all new service.

Actually I'd also be interested in a F/LOSS desktop app which might sync with Google Calendar. Hope to see a good solution to your original question here, from another Forum user.

Maybe ask on the new G+ Salix Community, too? Membership seems to be growing nicely there.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Akuna wrote:Zarafa ?
The server is already set up with Cyrus IMAP ;) Also I think Zarafa's web interface is ok for writing one or two mails, but not good enough for a production environment :| I think I'll chose Kontact, because it seems to have the most powerful IMAP client.