Hello and Review

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
Salixified

Hello and Review

Post by Salixified »

Greetings, fellow "lazy Slackers!" I have been using SalixOS (14) for a few days now, testing it on a computer identical to the aging hand-me-down beast I have at home. Up 'til now I have been a Xubuntu fan (for two years, after experimenting with several distros), but lately my beloved favorite distro has been scaring the heck out of me - enough to get me, reluctantly, to search around for a replacement. I found a couple of others that looked promising but either didn't get past the LiveCD/DVD stage, or got installed and didn't finish the day. But Salix fits the bill nicely and I'm absolutely stunned at it's speed on this very modest old Dell Dimension. This is the fastest and simplest it has ever been. I wrote a little review of SalixOS on my blog, but I'm not a big tech writer and my review is probably not up to the standards y'all are used to - just a casual computer user's observations and opinion. When I get three posts in I'll share the link.

I'm looking forward to just using and enjoying this wonderful breath of fresh air, reading these forums and maybe even learning a thing or two along the way. I've got my Xfce nicely customized with the Faenza icon set and my own little wallpaper collection and panel preferences. The new Midori browser is much better behaved on Salix than it was on Xubu too.

A delighted, "Salixified" user
Another totally Salixified customer!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Hello and Review

Post by mimosa »

Welcome and please don't hesitate to ask about anything that seems puzzling :)

Because Salix is Slackware-based the way things work is quite different in some ways (for instance, no sudo, though you can set it up if you want). I hope you continue to enjoy it and quickly feel at home.
Salixified

Post by Salixified »

Thanks, Mimosa, for your kindness in helping me with my silly rookie question, which I'm now embarrassed to have asked since the solution was so simple. But I do have enough posts now to include a link, so here it is:

A (former) Xubuntu User's Review of SalixOS 14.0

Thanks so much for a rock-solid, sweet and simple, snappy, responsive little Linux distro!
Another totally Salixified customer!
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

Hi, Salixified,

Welcome aboard. :) I hope you'll enjoy using Salix. In my experience, it almost always "Just Works" and allows me to focus on getting my work done, rather than tweaking the computer.

I read your review and enjoyed it. I posted a comment with some additional links that might be helpful for newcomers to Salix OS.
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260