My presentation

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
sebaz
Donor

My presentation

Post by sebaz »

Hi,

My name is Sébastien, i live in Saguenay (Québec, Canada). I was using slackware since 2005 always with a gnome desktop. My last slackware was 13.1 with gnomeslackbuild until late 2012.

I define myself as a linux user... not more. Im good at install the OS and some basic software (.txz) for my home use.

So, since november 2012, im using salix mate and i am really happy with it :) It's simple and fast to install. It have that old gnome 2 that i like with a recent slacware. It is very stable (it's a slackware!) The automatic update make it easy to use (gslap).

Slackware is the only linux i know. I like the fact that salix is 100% compatible to it.

Here some of the soft, that i use regularly: firefox, thunderbird, gimp, gthumb, blufish, gFTP, krename, libreoffice, kompozer. If my pc have these, it is enough for me. I succeded to have them in my salix mate, that's why im very happy.

So that was my presentation. You surely guess that english is not my native language but i did write it in english to present myself to as much people as possible. French il my native laguage.

Merci à l'équipe de Salix ;)

Be sure that for the next salix mate (a beta of salix 14 with mate 1.4 perhaps), i will try it on my laptop! Hope that it will be soon.

Sébastien
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: My presentation

Post by mimosa »

A warm welcome to Salix, Sébastien!

Salix Maté 14 is probably not that far off now. :)

Note that as well as the French language board in the forum, there is a French jabber room:

salix-fr@muc.jappix.com

EDIT address corrected to jappix

A number of the Salix team are either French or speak it reasonably well.

It's interesting that you started out with Slackware. It must be more common for newbies to start with something reputed to be "easy" and come to a distro like Slackware a bit later - if at all. Salix is said to be for "lazy slackers", that is, its original target audience is users just such as yourself, who feel at home with Slackware and know their way around, but may be glad to find that in Salix, some of the work has been done already.
Last edited by mimosa on 5. Apr 2013, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
sebaz
Donor

Re: My presentation

Post by sebaz »

In fact, at the very beginning, i have tried Mandrake and EduLinux (see fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/EduLinux and sebaz.ca/archives/mandrake.html). I never really use it (never succeded to have a functional desktop).

Then i frequently go to the linux meetup because at that time, i was living in Trois-Rivières. Slackware 10.1 was the linux used. I adopt it. Get used to the hard install & config process, some of the original VI command and the use of pkgtool. At that time, gnome was included with slackware.

Late 2009 i have move to a town far from Trois-Rivières. Since then, i'm alone in Saguenay to use Slackware. Thank for the French jabber room link, i will create my account this weekend.