Python Packages and Slackware Packages

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
jayseye

Python Packages and Slackware Packages

Post by jayseye »

Python's official package installer, pip, handles dependencies and supports upgrades and uninstalls. The root user can use pip to install packages under /usr/lib/python2.x/, and pip allows a normal user to install under their home directory.

Many "pure" Python packages are available, including libraries and apps, from a centralized, official repo. This Python Package Index (PyPI) has a complete searchable index at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/.

PyPI is kept up-to-date so, in many cases, newer versions are available there than via slapt-get / GSlapt, or even via slapt-src / Sourcery.

The only disadvantage I can think of would be during a Slackware / Salix upgrade. Packages installed by pip might get lost or damaged in the shuffle. Since pip can easily provide a list of all packages that it has installed, its seems simple enough to reconstruct the Python "site packages."

So for pure Python packages, are there any other reasons to install a Salix/Slackware package, rather than one from PyPI?
fredg

Re: Python Packages and Slackware Packages

Post by fredg »

Hi,

Salix packages are built in order to not bother users with updates (securiy fixes, ...), all is managed through slapt-get/Gslapt.

If you play with pip, as root, on your system, you will have to check yourself for update and take care about what is installed.
However, pip can be used by a simple user who doesn't want to build the package for a system integration or just want to test it.

Then, pip is really great and powerfull for Python development environnement, and, is even better when you use it with virtualenv. You will not mess your system, you will get a "jailed" system on which you will be able to do all the things you want without any stress.

BTW, be careful, playing with "pip show" can become addictive ;)

++
jayseye

Re: Python Packages and Slackware Packages

Post by jayseye »

Thanks, fredg - That appears to confirm my impression that pip is relatively safe, for users who understand the tradeoffs compared with using Slackware packages. (Safer, of course, using virtualenv.)

I'd still be interested in hearing any other views on this; particularly any disadvantages which I may have missed in the original post here.