Hello Salix World!

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
marcxjo

Hello Salix World!

Post by marcxjo »

Hi there! :D I'm Marĉjo, a relatively new Salix addict!

Since I'm not sure what else an introduction on a forum really ought to entail, here's some background on me and what I've been up to with Salix.

I've been a Linux-er for about 2.5 years, a Salix-er for about 10 months, and an under-the-radar packager for a few weeks now. I cut my teeth on variants of Ubuntu and Mint, but eventually I was left bored by the lack of ingenuity involved in running *buntu... it probably doesn't help that I don't have much interest in figuring out the ins and outs of .deb packaging. The simplicity of Slack and Salix's .txz packages just has a lot more appeal; I'm pretty addicted to slkbuild at this point.

I've been working (albeit very slowly) on creating packages to bring my desktop rig (running Xfce on 14.1) more in line with my audio machine, which is running DreamStudio 12.04, a *buntu spin chock full of software for creative (semi-)professionals. The desktop also ran DS for quite a while, but just seeing how Salix performs in comparison on this machine, makes me anticipate that the whole music-making experience will run much more smoothly on a Slack base. So far, I'm only just beginning to write the slkbuilds for wine-rt (wine patched for realtime scheduling) and a low-latency (as opposed to "proper" realtime) kernel. I intend to follow these with hydrogen, yoshimi, and other plugins found in DS that I've really come to enjoy. If anyone's interested to see what I've got or jump in to help, I'd be more than excited to have collaborators on this. I'm especially skeptical that my kernel slkbuild will come out quite right.

I've been working less slowly on getting my first-ever server set up, and in fact much of the rest of today is going to towards getting those packages ready as well. This will include Metronome IM (a fork of Prosody optimized for the Jappix web client) and updated versions of its dependencies, most of them Lua libraries; InspIRCd, one of the better-known and supported daemons out there right now from what I can tell; and maybe, possibly, perchance my own phpBB installation, just for kicks. This is all going to be installed on a fairly agéd single-core machine, so I can't exactly go nuts. Again, slkbuilds are freely available for interested parties. Criticism and suggestions for improvement are always appreciated!

Anyway, suffice it to say that I've come out of the gate with a good deal of ambition to contribute something of value to Salix. That said, I've got a lot of questions already, and I am definitely a bit of a noob with respect to some of the things I'm tackling, so bear with me. I'm usually good about hunting down answers without a lot of guidance, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of stupid questions along the way.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Hello Salix World!

Post by mimosa »

Hello and welcome!

Feel free to upload your packages somewhere and post links to them on the Contributed Packages board. If you'd like a slot on people.salixos.org, please get in touch in the jabber room.
marcxjo

Post by marcxjo »

Thanks mimosa! :D I am going to try to host my packages on my own server here soon to keep resources open for the rest of the community, but given how slowly that's coming along, I may look into the SF repo . Currently I'm looking over the packaging rules and revising the build scripts in my slkbuilds to get them up to spec. You'll probably see me pop up in another subforum shortly as I try to work out how to implement the necessary config options when building with cmake. :roll:
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

Hello, marcxjo,

I read your intro and also wanted to say "Welcome" to the Salix OS Forum. :) I've enjoyed using Salix for a couple of years now, and it has performed very reliably for me. I'm sure that the development team would be grateful for any packages you can contribute.

(Rimarkinte vian nomon -- kaj aparte la chapelitan literon -- mi scivolas, chu vi eble estas E-isto? Mi iam estis adepto fervora sed mi pli-malpli kabeis lastatempe.)
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
marcxjo

Post by marcxjo »

gaucho wrote:Hello, marcxjo,

I read your intro and also wanted to say "Welcome" to the Salix OS Forum. :) I've enjoyed using Salix for a couple of years now, and it has performed very reliably for me. I'm sure that the development team would be grateful for any packages you can contribute.
Thank you! I struggled a lot with Salix in the beginning -- I expected a bit naively to be able to replicate a lot of the hand-holding functionality of Ubuntu, and I struggled a lot with the absence of certain familiar programs -- but after I finally started researching and taking a few leaps of faith here and there, Salix quickly became the most fun I've ever had with a Linux distro.

As for packaging, I'm definitely hopeful that my contributions will be of some use; the more I read, the more I realize how amateur my approach to writing slkbuilds has been, but I'm a fast learner, and it's genuinely been a lot of fun to figure out how to fix them up.
gaucho wrote:(Rimarkinte vian nomon -- kaj aparte la chapelitan literon -- mi scivolas, chu vi eble estas E-isto? Mi iam estis adepto fervora sed mi pli-malpli kabeis lastatempe.)
Jes, mi estas Esperantisto de 6 jaroj (tamen ankaŭ ne tre aktiva)! Mi konsideris pridemandi tradukadon de Salix-aĵoj en Esperanton, sed mi poste decidis ke verŝajne ne ekzistus sufiĉe da intereso. Ĉu eble mi missupozis? :mrgreen:

Ankaŭ mi parolas kelkajn aliajn helplingvojn, ne tiom flue kiom EO, sed certe preskaŭe, inkluzive Idon kaj Mondlangon (alian Esperantidon bazitan plejparte sur la angla). Interesege kaj ĝojige, ke mi trovis samideanon en tiu ĉi forumo! :D
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Hi marcxjo, welcome to Salix!

Don't hesitate to post any packaging questions in http://forum.salixos.org/viewforum.php?f=22
or post any packages in the contributed packages section: http://forum.salixos.org/viewforum.php?f=20

I'm sure people will take a look. ;)
marcxjo

Post by marcxjo »

gapan wrote:Hi marcxjo, welcome to Salix!

Don't hesitate to post any packaging questions in http://forum.salixos.org/viewforum.php?f=22
or post any packages in the contributed packages section: http://forum.salixos.org/viewforum.php?f=20

I'm sure people will take a look. ;)
Thanks gapan, and thanks very much for putting together an awesome project! When I'm not tinkering with other distros just for kicks, Salix is by far my OS of choice. :D
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

We should look into creating an Esperanto forum :)
marcxjo

Post by marcxjo »

mimosa wrote:We should look into creating an Esperanto forum :)
I am all in favor of that! Ĉu ankaŭ vi parolas la lingvon internacian?/Are you a speaker as well? :)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I don't speak Esperanto, but I do have a nodding acquaintance with some other Indo-European languages, so some light shines between the words.