'Ello, Salixers!

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
seoneal7

'Ello, Salixers!

Post by seoneal7 »

My name is Shane O'Neal. I've been using Linux for say.. six or seven years, and yet I'm still an active and capable distro-hopper. :P To an extent, anyway. I always have Arch and Debian installed and configured, but I'm constantly replacing the distribution on my third partition. That said, I've been enjoying Salix OS so far. The installer is both simple and about the fastest I've ever used. The only "fault" I could find with it is the inability to install grub as opposed to lilo, but I was able to chroot into my Arch system from the command prompt and update my bootloader from there, which I probably would have chosen to do, regardless. Oh.. and I downloaded the XFCE edition. I very much respect the "one app per task" approach, and I can get along with most of what is included. I did remove Midori, Pidgin, and GDM and replace them with Luakit, irssi, and Slim. Simple enough. I initially tried to build Slim from Sourcery, and it exited with one error or another, so I just downloaded the source tarball from BerliOS and grabbed CMake from the slapt-get repos. Perhaps I'll become more familiar with Sourcery and its benefits in the future. I've used Slackware itself in the past, but I don't remember Slackbuilds?...

In any case, I found this awesomely appropriate theme (SimpliX) and wallpaper to dress up my desktop.

Hope everyone is doing well!
marcxjo

Re: 'Ello, Salixers!

Post by marcxjo »

I'm fairly new myself, but I'll still say welcome aboard, Shane! If you're anything like me, you'll probably find that the simplicity of packaging makes Salix one of the most fun distros out there... it's also just a tad less involved than writing pkgbuilds. ;)

Did you already have CMake installed before you tried to install Slim from Sourcery? You might try slapt-src from the command line; I'd be highly surprised if the problem wasn't simply that some or other dependency wasn't istalled yet, particularly CMake itself. Usually where slapt-src is unable to find a particular slackbuild, you *will* find its package in slapt-get. (Similar functionality *may* also be found in Sourcery, but I haven't used it in so long that I can scarce remember! :lol:)

In any case, I'm quite liking your desktop setup, and I have to tip my hat for the use of Whisker Menu! I wrote an updated slkbuild to get its custom menu functionality and I currently have two (about to be three) on my top panel.

What's your radio program there?
seoneal7

Post by seoneal7 »

Thanks for the welcome. And no. CMake wasn't installed. Of course, that was the problem. :P I'm already finding slapt-get very useful for dependencies. slapt-src, though.. That's intriguing. I'll check it out.

That's Pithos on my desktop (a Pandora client). Pianobar is the CLI version (Pithos is a GTK wrapper for libpiano). If you use Pandora, very cool software.
Last edited by seoneal7 on 11. Apr 2014, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.
seoneal7

Post by seoneal7 »

Reading up on slkbuild. Looks like good stuff.
marcxjo

Post by marcxjo »

seoneal7 wrote:That's Pithos on my desktop (a Pandora client). Pianobar is the CLI version (Pithos is a GTK wrapper for libpiano). If you use Pandora, very cool software.
Until now, I have only used Pandora a handful of times, and probably none within the past two or three years. This alone, though, is reason enough to get me to pick it up again. Very cool indeed. Glad I asked what it was!
seoneal7 wrote:Reading up on slkbuild. Looks like good stuff.
It's pretty awesome. Once you figure out your preferred template (and most of it's the kind of thing that's more or less dictated for you, anyway), it's no harder than simply compiling a program; you just run every command all in one stroke and happen to build a package in the process.