I just had to say...

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
GJones
Donor

I just had to say...

Post by GJones »

I'm glad you people (i.e. the Salix maintainers) are still keeping this distro alive!

a) It is one of the very few full desktop distros that still fits on a CD-ROM. If you don't have an 8+ Mb/s broadband connection, or have old computers with no DVD support, that's invaluable.

b) It is also one of the very few full desktop distros that does not require a live medium for installation. That's awesome for old computers. Seriously, ever tried booting a live distro on a laptop with 512 MB of RAM? Absolutely painful.

c) It's stable as a rock. Not once have I seen a kernel oops or panic with a Salix stock kernel, barring obvious mistakes (e.g. failing to update an initrd). For a small distribution that stays fairly up to date, that's impressive.

I experiment with other distros, due to more popular package management tools, better support for configuration management, stuff like that; but for personal/desktop stuff I keep coming back to Salix. So yeah - thank you all for maintaining this distro, it's been hugely helpful to me.
icaroperseo
Donor

Re: I just had to say...

Post by icaroperseo »

Good to know that there are people with similar ideas and emotions but especially that also contribute to that ideal as you! :D Thanks to you too!

It is certainly very comforting!

Best regards.