Thunderbird

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
tharpa

Thunderbird

Post by tharpa »

Not sure of the right forum for this. How does Mozilla's announcement that Thunderbird will no longer be maintained affect Salix, if at all?
ElderDryas

Re: Thunderbird

Post by ElderDryas »

tharpa wrote:How does Mozilla's announcement that Thunderbird will no longer be maintained affect Salix, if at all?
I would say little, if any, effect, as claws is the default mail reader. But gapan, et al. could answer officially. That said, I will personally be disappointed, if and when.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

None at all. First, as ElderDryas said, Thunderbird is not the default mail client on any of the different Salix versions. Second, the Thunderbird package is maintained by Slackware, although it appears that the localization packages are provide by Salix, And third, even though Mozilla may drop it support of TB, it will most likely be handed over to the "community" for future maintenace and support.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

My understanding is that Mozilla will continue to provide security updates for Thunderbird but they are not doing any R&D for new features, so in essence Thunderbird is in a stable feature freeze with security updates only. Sounds like it reached the status of Slackware/Salix. :) Can't think of any new features it would need anyway, works great. You could also use Seamonkey which is lighter than Firefox and Thunderbird or use Claws-Mail which is a hard little program to beat.