Salix KDE

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
321tomato

Salix KDE

Post by 321tomato »

Hello there Salix people,
I was considering downloading and installing Salix64 KDE 14.0.1 DVD ISO (x86_64, 64-bit) on a desktop PC. But I see new versions of things are under discussion, is this about to be replaced very soon so should I wait? I don't see any sign of this in recent posts on the mailing list though. It looks like I could upgrade versions if required. Why is this 14.0 when other desktops are at 14.1 with 14.2 XFCE planned? Perhaps this KDE version was so good it didn't need replacing, or is KDE being dropped in future? Will it run a printer and scanner? I guess the real test would be to run it on the hardware so I was just looking for some general guidance first. Other distros I've looked at seem either too light or excessively heavy, I wanted a full featured desktop with plenty of graphical tools that's not going to be too much trouble to maintain and use, but I didn't want to download the kitchen sink and a bunch of software that won't ever get used for this install, so this is looking promising afaict.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix KDE

Post by mimosa »

This is probably your best bet:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5280

It's really very stable despite being labelled a beta. There will be KDE 14.2 eventually (I'm pretty sure), but it may be a long wait. But you can upgrade 14.1 to 14.2 as soon as the XFCE version has been released, whatever flavour your 14.1.