How to progress from computer user to sysadmin-poweruser?

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
lucky9

How to progress from computer user to sysadmin-poweruser?

Post by lucky9 »

Hello, what would you recommend is the best way for a simple computer user to progress from user to poweruser-system administrator, without having to go to school learn all this stuff? When talking about sysadmin, I'm talking about home office sysadmin, nothing fancy.

I realize that learning bash and shell scripting is important, that why I'm read the "Bash Reference Manual" and "The Command Line Interface" books.

What would anyone recommend I do after?

Thanks for any reply.
HP DC7800 SFF | 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Salix64-Xfce-14.1
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: How to progress from computer user to sysadmin-poweruser

Post by ChuangTzu »

you mentioned a few that are good starts. Use CLI as much as possible, practice building packages, upgrading packages, kernels etc.... Best to do these things in a virtual machine or chroot environment. You can also install an OS to play with, on purpose screw it up and then see if you can put it back together again. There are a few distros out there designed for this purpose....will post an update when I can remember/locate them.

Read, Read Read....Linux magazines in book store are usually pretty good, Slackware book is great, Salix/Slackware forums...etc.... Real world experience will teach you alot more then a class. :)
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Though I had no interest in it. I just went out of politeness because I was asked.
I got a feeling I already know you from the Mepis forums?

Story time. Might help. Might not. Because it may bring up ideas you may not have thought of.

By word of mouth. My City Manager in my small town offered me the city hall tech support position. Basically set up and maintain all the office stations in the city hall building.

He heard about me from the girls working in city hall. But. I made my career out of maintaining and rebuilding motorcycles. I am retired now.
So my plans for extra money to go with my retirement check is to set up and run a pet day care center along side my motorcycle shop.

Anyways. If you have any friends that work for the city or town you live in. Like I do. They can mention you to the people who do the hiring. Depends on location I guess.
My town is small and on the Mexican Border in TX. So. YMMV from mine.
My position there would be I would be the only dude. With the City Manager basically being my boss. The job would have nothing to do with Linux.
They are Windows only and are currently upgrading their gear to Windows 10.

Though I turned down the offer. I made a good enough impression that I get all their old Dell 755, T3400, servers for free along with old monitors and keyboards and mice.
The gear was scheduled to go to the land fill. I figure the City Manager wanted me to keep my hand in. In case I change my mind.

I am just a scooter tramp with a GED. Not formally trained at all.
But I know more than the locals here that come out of college.
When I showed the City Manager my working Slackel Netbook with all hardware working and completely virus/malware proof.
Plus Google search rokynji was my resume.
The job was mine if I wanted it.

I never read books or manuals. I am a hands on type of cli learner. Good enough to be a distro team member for years now.
I am a forum moderator on 2 forums. One is Windows/Mac centric and is a well know virus trouble shooting site.
The other is a Forum like this one that I am a team member of <that I mentioned>.

Practise practise practise is how I learn. GhostBSD <on one of those freebie servers> is what I am teaching myself on free time. I am comfy already with Debian, Salix/Slackel/Slackware, Puppy Linux, ChromeOS, Mepis/MX/AntiX.

Just to show I walk the walk instead of just talking the talk. Here is my M/C shop Freebie Wireless Desktop internet stereo .

https://i.imgur.com/2YKCLo0.jpg

The shop

https://i.imgur.com/GbDGCfr.jpg

I am not saying I am in the class of Gapan and other warriors here. I am more in lucky9 class with a lot of practice.

lucky9

Post by lucky9 »

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will continue what I'm doing and hope for the best.
rokytnji I'm not the person you are think of. I have never used Mepis.
HP DC7800 SFF | 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Salix64-Xfce-14.1