Going full-circle

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
smithadmin

Going full-circle

Post by smithadmin »

I was introduced to Linux back in the mid-1990s when i was given a box (!) of 3.5" floppies with Slackware on them. I don't recall the version, but the kernel version was 0.99pl10.

I've used several different distributions in the mean-time, for personal and professional reasons.

I see from the forum that I'm not the only one that is not a fan of systemd; Sure, there are problems with some things, and solutions may need to be implemented, but systemd is the answer to exactly none of those problems.

At any rate, I came across Salix from a post someone made on https://slashdot.org, and I am glad that I decided to give it a go. The fact that it's based on Slackware is why I am calling this "going full-circle". It's like coming home again.

My thanks to the folks behind the distro. It looks great and runs nicely. I'm looking forward to using it for a long time to come.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: Going full-circle

Post by ChuangTzu »

Welcome to Salix :D
phaeton
Donor

Post by phaeton »

Our stories sound similar, smithadmin. Also, I might have been the AC you've seen mention Salix on Slashdot, particularly if it was described as "Slackware, with just a touch of automation".

But I hope not. I'd like to think that Salix is growing :)
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

smithadmin wrote:I see from the forum that I'm not the only one that is not a fan of systemd; Sure, there are problems with some things, and solutions may need to be implemented, but systemd is the answer to exactly none of those problems.
I couldn't agree more.
What I like in Salix is the fact it manages to be what Slackware should be. It's not a "distro for dummies", but can be used by newbies as well. It's not what Ubuntu is for Debian, but manages to simplify cumbersome tasks everybody needs to do after installing "vanilla" Slackware. And of course, it has a very good package management system.
It may sound simple, but in fact it's hard to do all that without falling into the "Ubuntu trap" at the same time. I tried many Slackware-based distros, hard to find anyone as good as Salix (or Slackel, if you prefer the "current" branch).

Welcome back home, Smith.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)