Greetings

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
bin bash

Greetings

Post by bin bash »

Hello, I am new to the forum but not Linux. I am also a Windows user, one machine is dual booted with
Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18. The other, Windows 7 and Salix 14.1/Fluxbox.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Greetings

Post by mimosa »

Welcome :)

Have you tried the Salix 14.2 beta yet?
bin bash

Post by bin bash »

No, I didn't realize it was available, thanks for the heads up.
Edit; Do you have a link?
westms

Post by westms »

bin bash

Post by bin bash »

Thank you for the link.
bin bash

Post by bin bash »

I downloaded and installed the Salix 14.2 beta 1 version.
It looks nice, comes with libre office. However I could not connect to the internet.
It recognized my wifi AirCard Network but will not connect. Since I don't have a wired
ethernet connection available, it is not much use to me.
I have deleted it and reinstalled Salix 14.1. This connects to my wifi quickly and painlessly.
I may try 14.2 when it becomes stable. Disappointing. :(
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

bin bash, this is very likely easily soluble. There are two possibilities - either a regression meaning your wireless is no longer supported (unlikely, and still fixable, perhaps most simply by upgrading to a more recent kernel, though since the one in 14.2 is still recent, any such regression may not yet have been dealt with); or more likely, it is an issue with Network Manager.

The way new connections are set up in Network Manager is not intuitive - you have to go to the main Settings menu, and select Network Connections. Only after the configuration has been added there will it appear in the Network Manager applet as an available network.

There is also no reason why you couldn't just install wicd if you want - it is still in the repositories. If it works, you can uninstall Network Manager. It may be necessary to do

Code: Select all

sudo service stop networkmanager
sudo service start wicd
I would add that the purpose of beta is to uncover bugs by testing. That's how it becomes stable :)
bin bash

Post by bin bash »

Thank you for the very informative reply.

Edit; I have done as you suggested and added my network in the network settings. Although it did already appear there
intuitively.
It attempts to connect, but I end up with the error message, "the network connection has been disconnected".
Which doesn't surprise me as it never gives me the option of a dialog box to enter my passphrase.
I don't believe the problem is with the drivers or the kernel, as all the other OS I have installed have connected
flawlessly, with the exception of Slackware 14.1.
Where do I find the option "allow all users to access this connection"?
I can install wicd as you suggested, and I will try that, this means that I will have to take my computer (good thing it's
a laptop) to the public library where I can access the internet via an ethernet connection. I hope this works, but it's not
very convenient for users like myself who only have a wifi network.
I will keep you posted as to the results.
Edit; the command 'sudo start service wicd' produces this argument.
chmod: cannot access '/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd': No such file or directory
No wicd service

I found this on how to install wicd in Slackware 14.1, but nothing for Salix
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... kware-14-1.
So again I am stymied, I am using Salix 14.2 beta 1 via the wired connection at the public library, but probably
won't be able to use my private network AirCard, unfortunately I forgot to bring it.
bin bash

Post by bin bash »

Update: After a trip to the library and connecting via a wired connection, I am now home again, and online with my
private network AirCard.
Success :D
I have some more info on this topic in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6974
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

It might be worth your having a look at the Salix Startup Guide (guide.salixos.org, I think, but there is a link on the homepage), especially chapter three on package management - which works differently in Salix from Slackware. To install wicd from the repositories, use Gslapt. Third-party packages should be treated with caution.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it working.

To add the password in the settings, you need to edit the connection. The option to connect for all users is in there somewhere too - it's per-connection. In wicd you can get to it all from the applet, which is what I found confusing in adapting to NetworkManager.