Hello

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
Spiff

Hello

Post by Spiff »

Hello everyone, I have been a Linux user for several years now. I am used a rolling release since I switched to Linux, but I have found through experience and time that I prefer stability over new packages.

I had messed with Slackware a little bit in the past, but couldn't really convince myself to use it as a desktop, since for me, it would take a lot of work to get it where I wanted.

Anyways, I looked at Debian stable distro's, and Slackware based ones. Did some research into the whole sytsemd thing and decided to stay away from it if possible. There was several that got good reviews, from both sides, but Salix, well just took the cake so to speak. Kudos to whoever does the theming it is second to no one. The selection of packages is also perfect just enough to do all the basic jobs and if the user wants something else, he can install it. few distro's realize that less is more.

Currently I am trying learn the basics so that the transition will be as painless as possible. Being new to Slackware/Salix package management, is there a how to guide for installing/removing packages and updating Salix that someone could point me to?

Thanks,
Spiff
reedych

Re: Hello

Post by reedych »

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

It should be noted that package management works differently in Salix, indeed, that is one of the main differences between Slackware and Salix, unless you change it back yourself - something you probably don't want to do unless you know you do.
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Thanks guys! :)

Thanks for the tip mimosa. I thought that the only difference was that Salix had dependency resolution.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Well, that, and the Salix repositories, and the package management tools, which are different from the Slackware ones. If in doubt, please read the relevant section of the Guide, linked to above by ChuangTzu.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Spiff wrote:Thanks guys! :)

Thanks for the tip mimosa. I thought that the only difference was that Salix had dependency resolution.
https://salixos.blogspot.com/2013/10/ho ... salix.html
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Thanks. :D I didn't realize you guys made that many more packages.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »