New user

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
Crispy

New user

Post by Crispy »

Hi there,

I am new in the forum and a bloody newbie in the world of Slackware and Salix. After few years of distro-hopping I got caught by Manjaros OpenRC for the last 4 years. It was the most perfect OS I ever used. But now its no longer alive. Hence I was searching for a new Distro which fit my preferences. Sure, there are a few more, but the first and most important requierement is no Systemd.

I had a look at Devuan, Void, FreeBSD and derivates. Today I installed Salix in a VM and after few minutes I thought it is worth trying on bare metal. So I took an old T400 and started up with Salix Openbox. After upgrading it to 14.2 there were few (minor) problems. Cause i didnt want to wait untill I would have fixed these problems I dd'ed Salix XFCE on the stick and did the next try. In short, its amazing, I like it very much and I think there is no need for me to try more alternatives. I arrived.

Kudos! Thanks for your work and this really great OS.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: New user

Post by gapan »

Hi Crispy, welcome to Salix! If you hit any bumps don't hesitate to post in the forums. :)
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

welcome to the forum Crispy :D

PS: there are lots of WM's in the repos that easily run on an Xfce install.

here is my fluxbox:

and Xfce:
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Welcome aboard!
Another systemd refugee, I see. Well, don't worry, there are plenty of them here, including myself (I came to avoid systemd, I stayed because Salix is, simply put, great).

Don't hesitate to use the forums for questions you may have. Unlike other distributions, developers are very active here, and the community in general is very friendly and helpful.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Hi again,

first of all thank you for the warm welcome. Be sure I will ask when in trouble. But before I will try by myself. The learning effect is imho much higher.

Today I swept away the old and nearly dead OS from my main machine by installing Salix XFCE.

After installation was finished I tried to update the sources in Sourcery SlackBuild Manager and Gslapt. It wasn't successfull and advised to check internet connection and options. The connection to internet was up but a ping on salix.hostingxtreme.com failed. So I changed the server adresses to nluug.nl which is not far away from me and updates were successfull after this.

On top I installed Openbox, copied few backuped config files from the old system, fixed the non-functional session menu, installed additional tools and did several configs of system files.
Everything seems fine now. Just as nothing had happened.

As you can see I like it clean and simple ;)

Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Welcome Crispy! :) New user myself. Salix is great; you not be disappointed with it.
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Yes, I agree and I like it very much so far.

I'm not an expert in Linux but could handle most things my own. Salix seems a bit harder to me. Less documentation and all in english which is not my native language. But I will go for it. Good things take time... ;)
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Thank you very much Spiff for the links although I already knew them ;)