A hello and some questions...

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
maximus

A hello and some questions...

Post by maximus »

SO... this is where everyone's hanging out!

I have Salix up and running in VirtualBox, looks very good! Full install went very quickly.

If you'd like to have me :oops: I'd like to help out whenever I have the time here and there, and to keep things simple I'll probably remove Zen and run Salix full time on my desktop - I don't really have the room on my hard drive for another OS, and I barely have enough time to spend on one OS let alone two ;)

I understand this is a beta release, is the likelihood of reinstalling regularly at this stage very great? I have read that Salix is/aims to be backward compatible with Slack, so I assume that major updates would be inline with Slack's and that Salix should be stable enough as is for day to day use? Do I understand correctly that Slackware 13.0 is the stable release, and Slackware-current is the development release?

I'd need to have VirtualBox installed for some other work, I have the Zen vbox package installed on the virtual machine right now and it seems to start ok - haven't tried running a virtual machine inside the virtual machine though!

Thanks!

Max
Last edited by maximus on 4. Sep 2009, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: A hello and some questions...

Post by gapan »

Hi Max! And welcome!
maximus wrote:If you'd like to have me :oops: I'd like to help out...
Of course you are very welcome to! No need to ask!
maximus wrote:I understand this is a beta release, is the likelihood of reinstalling regularly at this stage very great?
According to my calculations, I would say that the probability of having to reinstall is exactly 0. ;)
maximus wrote:I have read that Salix is/aims to be backward compatible with Slack, so I assume that major updates would be inline with Slack's and that Salix should be stable enough as is for day to day use?
Exactly. If Slackware is stable, the Salix should be just as stable. We're not changing anything in slackware, we're using the slackware kernel, glibc, xorg, everything, even the slackware xfce. And Slackware has a reputation for being rock solid... ;)
maximus wrote:Do I understand correctly that Slackware 13.0 is the stable release, and Slackware-current is the development release?
Yes. Slackware (and therefore Salix) has versioned repositories. The stable release is now 13.0. We are not going to pursue keeping up with current for now. Our main focus is now 13.0. In 5-6 months when Slackware starts stabilizing for 13.1 release, we'll get to that.
maximus wrote:I'd need to have VirtualBox installed for some other work, I have the Zen vbox package installed on the virtual machine right now and it seems to start ok - haven't tried running a virtual machine inside the virtual machine though!
The zenwalk package should work. And laprjns might create a virtualbox package for salix. But, in any case, I'm running virtualbox using the binaries provided in the virtualbox homepage with absolutely no problems, so that should work for you too.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Hi Max!

Nice to see some new folks here 8-)

VirtualBox:
I've rebuild VirtualBox from the ZENBUILD included in the Zenwalk package. Everything works fine ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
maximus

Post by maximus »

Thanks for the replies, well as soon as I have backed up everything vital I'll go ahead with Salix! The approach sounds good and simple to me. I'm quite comfortable with the slkbuild system so missing things should be easily replaced. One thing I noticed with buildpkg was that permissions - although OK most of the time - were quite often all over the place which I could never quite understand. Anyway, thanks for the welcome!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You might want to wait a bit, I'll probably have a new iso ready (which will also probably be the final iso) during the weekend. I wanted to do it yesterday, but my internet connection sucked big time.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

gapan wrote:And laprjns might create a virtualbox package for salix.
I was planning on doing just that this weekend, but looks like thenktor beat me to it. I tried doing last weekend but was missing some build dependences. Thenktor, where did you get IASL (Intel ACPI compiler) package? I couldn't find it in any of the default repositories that are included in slapt-get. I was thinking that I would have to build that also.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I didn't us an Intel compiler. And the package is not uploaded, so feel free to package it ;)

I've just used this ZENBUILD and did not check anything what it does:

Code: Select all

#Maintainer: laprjns <richard~at~laprjns.com>
#Anything commented out is optional and can be deleted.

pkgname=VirtualBox
pkgver=3.0.2
pkgrel=1
zenver=62
arch=i486
source=(http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/$pkgver/$pkgname-${pkgver}-OSE.tar.bz2 \
		http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/$pkgver/VBoxGuestAdditions_$pkgver.iso \
		http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/$pkgver/UserManual.pdf \
		vbox.patch)
docs=("readme" "install" "copying" "changelog" "authors" "news" "todo" "UserManual.pdf")
sourcetemplate=http://zenwalk.pinguix.com/user-accounts/laprjns/$pkgname/$pkgver/
url="http://virtualbox.org"
dotnew=()
options=("noautodotnew")
lessdepends=(xterm)
extradepends=() 
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i486 -mtune=i686" 
CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS

doinst() {
chmod 4511 usr/lib/VirtualBox-3.0.2_OSE/VirtualBox
chmod 4511 usr/lib/VirtualBox-3.0.2_OSE/VBoxHeadless
chmod 4511 usr/lib/VirtualBox-3.0.2_OSE/VBoxSDL
chmod 4511 usr/lib/VirtualBox-3.0.2_OSE/VBoxNetAdpCtl
chmod 4511 usr/lib/VirtualBox-3.0.2_OSE/VBoxNetDHCP

/etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv start	
}

slackdesc=\
(
#|-----handy-ruler------------------------------------------------------|
"VirtualBox OSE Edition."
"VirtualBox is a family of powerful x86 virtualization products for"
"enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely"
"feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers,it is"
"also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open"
"Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License."
""
)

build() {

#Prepare the package directories	
	mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE
	mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/bin
	mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/etc/vbox
	mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/etc/rc.d
	mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/misc	
	mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/share/applications

# patch the source tree for zenwalk changes
	cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE
#	patch -p1 < ../../fix_heap_corruption_in_compacting_VDI.patch
	patch -p1 < ../../vbox.patch
	cat <<EOF >LocalConfig.kmk
# shut up wine complaining about unknown locale
	EXEC_X86_WIN32          := wine
# don't build testcases to save time, they are not needed for the package
	VBOX_WITH_TESTCASES     := 
	VBOX_WITH_TESTSUITE     :=
	VBOX_DOCBOOK_WITH_LATEX :=
	VBOX_WITHOUT_DOCS       := 1
	KBUILD_MSG_STYLE        := brief
	VBOX_WITH_HARDENING     := 1
	VBOX_WITH_ORIGIN        :=
	VBOX_PATH_APP_PRIVATE_ARCH := /usr/lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE
	VBOX_PATH_SHARED_LIBS      := /usr/lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE
	VBOX_WITH_RUNPATH          := /usr/lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE
	VBOX_PATH_APP_PRIVATE      := /usr/lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE
	VBOX_PATH_APP_DOCS         := /usr/doc/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE
EOF

# Compile the application
	cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE
	./configure \
	  --disable-pulse
	source ./env.sh
 	kmk all || return 1
# Build kernel modules	
	cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/out/linux.x86/release/bin/src
	make

#Remove unneed stuff	
	cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/out/linux.x86/release/bin/
	rm -rf sdk tst* testcase SUPInstall SUPUninstall
	rm -rf *.png *.desktop *.tar.gz

# Move the binary's and modules to the package directorys
	cp -rf $startdir/src/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/out/linux.x86/release/bin/src/*.ko $startdir/pkg/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/misc
    cp -rf $startdir/src/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/out/linux.x86/release/bin/* $startdir/pkg/usr/lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE
	cp -rf $startdir/VBoxGuestAdditions_${pkgver}.iso $startdir/pkg/usr/lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
	install -m 755 $startdir/src/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/src/VBox/Installer/linux/vboxdrv.sh.in  $startdir/pkg/etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv
	intall -m 755 $startdir/src/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/src/VBox/Installer/linux/VBox.sh $startdir/pkg/usr/lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/VBox.sh
	cp -rf $startdir/src/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/src/VBox/Installer/linux/VirtualBox.desktop $startdir/pkg/usr/share/applications/VirtualBox.desktop
	cp -rf $startdir/UserManual.pdf $startdir/src/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE
	rm -f $startdir/pkg/usr/src/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/$pkgname-${pkgver}-OSE.tar.bz2

#  need to insert package installation path in vboc.cfg 
	echo "# VirtualBox installation directory" > $startdir/pkg/etc/vbox/vbox.cfg
	echo "INSTALL_DIR='/usr/lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE'" >> $startdir/pkg/etc/vbox/vbox.cfg

# Copy icons to the right place
	ICONSIZES="48 32 16"
	for i in $ICONSIZES; do
		mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/share/icons/hicolor/$i\x$i/apps;
		mv $startdir/src/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/src/VBox/Frontends/VirtualBox/images/OSE/VirtualBox_${i}px.png $startdir/pkg/usr/share/icons/hicolor/$i\x$i/apps/VBox.png;
	done;

(cd $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/ 
		ln -sf ../lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/VBox.sh VirtualBox
		ln -sf ../lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/VBox.sh VBoxManage
		ln -sf ../lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/VBox.sh VBoxHeadless
		ln -sf ../lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/VBox.sh VBoxSDL
		ln -sf ../lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/VBox.sh VBoxVRDP
		cd $startdir/pkg/usr/lib/$pkgname-${pkgver}_OSE/components
	)
}
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
stillborn

Post by stillborn »

Nice to see you here Maximus. I'm happily waiting for picasa3 package from you :P
FIN
maximus

Post by maximus »

Ok I'll wait for the new ISO. No problem stillborn, I'll repackage picasa too once I'm off work, although the zen version should work just as well as it's just a binary re-pack from the available .deb - picasa isn't open source as far as I know.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

thenktor wrote:I didn't us an Intel compiler. And the package is not uploaded, so feel free to package it ;)

I've just used this ZENBUILD and did not check anything what it does:
You must have the iasl compiler on your system since virtualb box will not build with out it and we are using the same ZENBUILD source. ;) I had to build a package for acpica-unix-20090903.tar.gz which I assume inclues iasl.
Anyway package is built and I will upload it later today after I test it.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"