Hello all

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
52midnight

Hello all

Post by 52midnight »

I've just installed Salix for the first time and am very impressed. I've been using Debian for ten years, but it doesn't recognize my new box (Qotom Q190N). When I checked its hardware list it's dated 2010 - unbelievable! The current Debian 'testing' won't install either.

I therefore downloaded ten different distros, and the only ones to install correctly were Salix, MX Linux and Slackware. Puppy Linux runs fine, as does System Rescue CD, praise be! I used Slackware for a while many years ago, so decided to try Salix instead. I've now moved to LXDE and am very pleased to find a range of more unusual packages from other sites. Nedit has been my preferred editor for years, so a great relief to find it available.

I'd like to login to runlevel 3 and invoke X from the commandline. The runlevel change and login worked OK, but startx failed.

Is there documentation on how to start X from the Salix commandline and enter LXDE?

With thanks for any advice. Good to be here.
sammy

Re: Hello all

Post by sammy »

Run

Code: Select all

xwmconfig
and select the DE/WM you want to use with startx.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Hi and welcome!

If you don't want to start gdm on boot and want to log in a console, first edit /etc/inittab and change this line:

id:4:initdefault:
to

id:3:initdefault:
and reboot of course.

Then do as sammy suggested.
52midnight

Post by 52midnight »

Yes, that did the trick! Thanks to both.

I'd forgotten just how simple, elegant and logical Slackware is. A real pleasure to be back with SysVinit and all the other stuff I used to think would never change.